• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Photoluminescent Systems (UL Listed - Exit Signs & Egress Path Marking)

Can you guys tell me: Is this type of door hardware gaining traction?

Link is for an exit device that has visual AND audible indication of the exit location. These become active under alarm conditions; the device performs as a normal exit device under non-alarm conditions.

There was, a few years ago, some rumbling by hardware manufacturers that this was becoming a code required solution. Can someone cite a current requirement for this type of hardware?

Regarding the hardware: I have seen it in a courthouse building and special assembly (indoor ride attraction) before but to date, I am unaware of any specific "requirement" for occupancy types. This does not mean that I won't see it in a code proposal in the future.

LUMINOUS EGRESS PATH MARKINGS

1024.1 General. Approved luminous egress path markings delineating the exit path shall be provided in buildings of Groups A, B, E, I, M and R-1 having occupied floors located more than 75-feet above the lowest level of fire department vehicle access in accordance with Sections 1024.1 through 1024.5.

1024.2.6.2 Door hardware markings. Door hardware shall be marked with no less than 16 square inches of luminous material. This marking shall be Located behind, immediately adjacent to or on the door handle[/b[ and/or escutcheon. Where a panic bar is installed, such material shall be no less than 1 inch (25 mm) wide for the entire length of the actuating bar or touchpad.

Mark & CDA, Thanks for that.

To be certain I understand correctly: 1024.2.6.2 applies ONLY to buildings falling under 1024.1 General.

Never mind, I read it again and it is clearly stated :oops:.

Duh.....totally forgot about the IBC's dedicated provisions for high rises path and enclosure markings (thanks Mark) ......now to get it Chapter 11 of 101.