• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Piercing saddle valves

Iowa49

Are any of these approved, the 2006 IPC appears to forbid them, but I continue to see them used. Do any of you know if they are actually approved by listing for use in water systems. They're used for ice makers and humidifiers primarily.

Re: Piercing saddle valves

Iowa49,

Welcome to the "new" Code Forum! :)

While the IPC does not [ typically ] allow them, it will be up

to the AHJ if they are allowed or not. Check with them!

If you are the AHJ, then your city officials will need to

decide if they are accepted or not.

I really don't see a problem with them. They have to be an accepted, they're manufacturing them! :roll:

I look at it this way....what does it hurt?

The indented pipe causes tubulance in the flow of the water which then cavitates the pipe down stream from the puncture, causing holes to appear and leaks. It's the same reason pipe needs to be reamed after cutting.