• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

PILED HIGH STORAGE

EugeneNinniePEAIA

I have a client who owns a 22,500 ft² warehouse. 10,280 ft² are dedicated to one tenant whose storing playground equipment in cardboard boxes. The boxes were stacked to an elevation of 15 ft which is almost to the bottom of the roof trusses The building is constructed of 12-in concrete block with a bow string truss roof made of Doug fir structural elements and bolts. Additional spaces in the warehouse with masonry firewalls in between are a +/-5000 ft2 area and another +/- 5000 ft2 area

The space is unheated. It has two means of egress. The building is not sprinklered

The fire marshal had done a surprise visit to my clients facility and indicated that it violates the high piled combustible storage facility chapter 32 of the fire code of New York State now this is similar to the fire code by the international building code.

Currently I am waiting on this specific tenant to give me a list of plastic materials and combustibles that are in these boxes so I can best classify and ascertain what we need to do with Chapter 32

What I am asking in this post, is what are my next steps as an architect. I have read through this code and it appears to me that I'm going to have to assemble a plan showing the proper aisle width in between piles of stock/products and a limited height because of the lack of sprinklers which is required due to the High hazard designation. The fire marshal also indicated fire breaks established between piles of stock. I am assuming fire break means firewall.

I have a scheduled meeting with the fire marshal but I am throwing this out on this forum because there's a lot of talent out there that I would like to get their opinion on on how I should handle this to rectify the problem.

Other portions of this warehouse are available to this tenant to place the dislocated stock from the violated area to reduce the head height in one area and bring it into another area and those areas are separated by masonry firewalls. But I am unsure as to the creation of fire breaks between piles of stock.

I am open to suggestions and how I should handle this problem to make sure that the code enforcement officer is satisfied and I put together a proper plan and calculations.

Thank You

Respectfullly Submitted

Gene Ninnie, PE, AIA, LEED AP

I'm not sure what the FM means by fire breaks, not in the IFC definitions or index. Ask kindly "What is a fire break?" Do you mean fire seperation, fire partition, fire barrier or fire area?

If it was approved as high piled and the same commodity nothing should need to change.....A change to high piled plastics sounds a lot like adding sprinklers to me....
I did not say it was approved PRIOR to occupancy. The client ( bldg owner) just placed this tenant in the space, no approvals. The buildign used to be a lumber wholesaler distributor who occupied the ENTIRE warehouse with wood, paint, thinners, hardware, etc, etc....I need to find a way to classify the stock, then make up a plan to REDUCE the stock to levels less than 12ft( fire marshall said 12ft which I do not see the magic in that number).....

Anyhow have ever heard the term "fire break" it just referred to a separation between areas of flammable materials. Fire breaks are used many times when containing wildfires.

semantics: differing flammable materials may require separation walls (not breaks) in unsprinklered buildings.

The "BREAKS" the building official mentioned are not walls but separations between stacks of material as outlined in the Fire Code Of New York State. I have assmebled a floor plan indicating stacks and their proper separation to be approved by the Building Offical and to be posted in the warehouse for the Tenant to use and follow.

I saw an excellent report on the Beirut warehouse explosion, and one of the causes mentioned was inadequate breaks between sacks of various flammables. I forget what standard the report referenced; it might have been a NFPA standard.