• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Pipe Support Spans

Nick Osborn

Hello all,

I need to come up with information on maximum allowable pipe support spans for a project.

We are designing a pipe bridge to carry over hot water in 4" schedule 40 copper and compressed air in 2" steel.

I see that the IMC table 305.4 calls out pipe spans of 10 feet and 12 feet respectively, but I need to know if that table accounts for external wind and ice loading. If not, what resource can I use to determine my span spacing given these external elements?

Thanks,
Nick

Darn Okay.

So are there any helpful codes for pipe structure design outside? I don't know what to do here other than consult people. I would rather avoid performing stress analysis etc. to find my answer on allowable span, but I can utilize a structural engineer to assist as a last resort.

I also have another table on pipe support spans, coming from ASME B31.1-2016.
It only suggests maximum spans however, and I would assume it will not be suitable for our purposes.

301.15 Wind resistance.
Mechanical equipment, appliances and supports that are exposed to wind shall be designed and installed to resist the wind pressures determined in accordance with the International Building Code.

301.18 Seismic resistance.
When earthquake loads are applicable in accordance with the International Building Code, mechanical system supports shall be designed and installed for the seismic forces in accordance with the International Building Code.

Might take a look at ASCE 7 and see if it might be helpful

Mechanical engineering combines creativity, knowledge and analytical tools to complete the difficult task of shaping an idea into reality.

Wind or ice effects on 2"&4" pipe doesn't seem like a big deal to me.
says the guy from sunny California, water weigh 7.5 lbs per gallon and a cubic foot of water is about 7.5 gallons = 56 pounds that add up quick on thread rod and unistrut

@ ~ @ ~ @

serveimage

As **The Commish** mentioned, frozen water could add some
significant weight to the mix......Add some windy conditions to
that and there could be a piping failure.

@ ~ @ ~ @

The copper pipe will have hot water. Put the steel pipe over, and close to, the copper pipe.

# ~ # ~ #

The hot water copper piping [ should ] also have thermal insulation
installed on it [ i.e. - reducing the heat loss thingy ]. :D

# ~ # ~ #

No contact between steel and copper, "duh"!
It comes down to a basic engineering equation: Span vs wgt (pipe, contents, ice, insulation) vs size of exposed area vs wind speed ='s what you need.