• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

pizza ovens, need assistance, type 1 or type 2

codeworks

Gold Member
ok, electric (convection) pizza ovens, gas fired pizza ovens, don't produce "grease laden vapors " like a deep fat fryer or range cook top or broiler will. i'd say a type 2 hood is sufficient for the pizza oven. not a type one with supression, which would be required over a fryer (actually dry chem) due to grease/water splash issues, but you get the drift, not a broiler, not a range, just an oven. any ideas or input.

I have seen a report from a lab commissioned by a national chain/franchise for a conveyor oven for the various food stuffs they would send through the oven. The report quantified the amount of grease produced and concluded it was sufficiently low enough to utilize a Type 2 hood.

Of course, your oven and food stuffs may be different, and the local authority would need to accept the concept of "sufficiently low enough" which does not exist in the code.

I would side with the requirement for the type 2 hood; however...

Just for clarification and discussion, since that involves the mechanical code (ICC), I believe it also states that part of the purpose of a type 2 hood is if the HVAC system can not also handle the added water vapor or undesirable food odor, therefore I would think it prudent to involve the AHJ that handles the mechanical code approval/enforcement (ICC)? In my jurisdiction, that would fall with the building department. So in other words it's a code that involves two AHJ's, fire code official and building official.

Electric....would look and see, sorry, gas fired, solid fuel........IMHO, you they produce grease, worked in them, sorry. Type I for those for sure.

See Fatboy's above comment... Yes pizzas produce grease laden vapors, as do the other foods cooked in them.

I have seen both Type I and Type II over pizza appliances. Pizza ovens do not seem to generate the amount of grease that the conveyer chain ovens do. When there is a fire in closed oven, keeping the door closed will contain the fire. But in a conveyer chain type of cooker, the fire is not contained behind closed doors. That type of appliance should be under a Type I hood and duct work, protected by a UL300 suppression system. I have seen more than pizza cooked. When burgers and chicken wings are cooked, more grease is produced. The last pizza place I was involved in had a Type I exhaust and an Ansul R 102 suppression system installed to protect a chain type oven.

Greetings,

If the pizza oven is a conveyor type of oven it must be Type I per the 09 IMC as it's rated a medium duty cooking appliance. If no conveyor then it would be light-duty and would not be required to have a Type I unless it's producing grease-laden vapors. I recall there being a change from the 06 to 09 IMC in this regard as the definition of these types of appliances changed.

MEDIUM-DUTY COOKING APPLIANCE. Medium-duty cooking appliances include electric discrete element ranges (with or without oven), electric and gas hot-top ranges, electric and gas griddles, electric and gas double-sided griddles, electric and gas fryers (including open deep fat fryers, donut fryers, kettle fryers and pressure fryers), electric and gas conveyor pizza ovens, electric and gas tilting skillets (braising pans) and electric and gas rotisseries.

BSSTG

Forgive the length of this guys and gals but we got tired of all the banter so we decided to come up with this (for now):

CONVEYER /HORIZONTAL BROILER TYPE PIZZA OVENS

FIRE PROTECTION & TYPE I HOODS

Summary:

The question of do the codes require pizza ovens to be supplied with a Type I exhaust hood and fire suppression equipment has been debated by code officials for many years. The code does not specifically say yes however, the codes do suggest that these ovens if cooking materials that produce grease will require protection. Facilities have gone beyond just merely cooking pizza and now have entered upon cooking other foods through the oven like chicken wings, ribs, cheesy pasta dishes etc. These foods will produce and are subjected to temperatures above 400 degrees allowing for grease and smoke development.

Code Analysis on current adopted codes:

MBC 2009

904.2.1 Commercial hood and duct systems. Each required commercial kitchen exhaust hood and duct system required by Section 609 of the International Fire Code or Chapter 5 of the International Mechanical Code to have a Type I hood shall be protected with an approved automatic fire-extinguishing system installed in accordance with this code. [F]

IFC 2009 (As referenced)

SECTION 602 DEFINITIONS COMMERCIAL COOKING APPLIANCES. Appliances used in a commercial food service establishment for heating or cooking food and which produce grease vapors, steam, fumes, smoke or odors that are required to be removed through a local exhaust ventilation system. Such appliances include deep fat fryers; upright broilers; griddles; broilers; steam-jacketed kettles; hot-top ranges; under-fired broilers (charbroilers); ovens; barbecues; rotisseries; and similar appliances. For the purpose of this definition, a food service establishment shall include any building or a portion thereof used for the preparation and serving of food. [M]

609.2 Where required. A Type I hood shall be installed at or above all commercial cooking appliances and domestic cooking appliances used for commercial purposes that produce grease vapors. [M]The code commentary for this section reads “An exhaust system is required for all appliances used for commercial cooking as defined in Section 602. In addition to the specific cooking appliances identified in the definition, further examples of commercial cooking appliances that require a commercial exhaust system are griddles (flat or grooved); tilting skillets or woks; braising and frying pans; roasters; pastry ovens; pizza ovens; char broilers, salamanders and upright broilers; infrared broilers and open-burner stoves and ranges.”

MMC 2009 (As referenced)

507.2.1 Type I hoods. Type I hoods shall be installed where cooking appliances produce grease or smoke. Type I hoods shall be installed over medium-duty, heavy-duty and extra-heavy-duty cooking appliances. Type I hoods shall be installed over light-duty cooking appliances that produce grease or smoke.

509.1 Where required. Commercial cooking appliances required by Section 507.2.1 to have a Type I hood shall be provided with an approved automatic fire suppression system complying with the International Building Code and the International Fire Code.

Conclusion:

CFD has the opinion that an increased fire hazard does exist by facilities cooking other grease producing materials in an oven manufactured and intended for baking pizzas. The ovens being used for cooking foods that do produce grease and smoke would require the installation of a Type I hood and fire suppression as required by adopted codes. In existing operations compliance with the new 2009 codes adopted locally will only apply to facilities changing their cooking appliances or operations and will not be applied to facilities being in existence prior to the adoption of the 2009 codes.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have seen a report from a lab commissioned by a national chain/franchise for a conveyor oven for the various food stuffs they would send through the oven. The report quantified the amount of grease produced and concluded it was sufficiently low enough to utilize a Type 2 hood.

Of course, your oven and food stuffs may be different, and the local authority would need to accept the concept of "sufficiently low enough" which does not exist in the code.
Could you tell me the report you are referring to?

Could you tell me the report you are referring to?

I think there has been past discussion on places that cook chicken wings and such in pizza ovens

Check the edition of IMC you are under.

It has gotten tougher on when Type I hoods are needed

What do you mean "Texas?" I'm trying to figure out what report shows that a pizza chain's grease emissions are low enough that they do not require their oven to be protected by a type 1 hood.

Your profile says Carrollton

So first it looks like the exception applies to electric only

Exception: A Type I hood shall not be required for an electric cooking appliance where an approved testing agency provides documentation that the appliance effluent contains 5 mg/m3 or less of grease when tested at an exhaust flow rate of 500 cfm (0.236 m3/s) in accordance with UL 710B.

Seems like each appliance type/ brand would have to be tested.

Will see what the commentary says on Monday

I believe the code is pretty clear that a Type I hood is required over a conveyor pizza oven because it is defined as a Medium Duty Cooking Appliance regardless of the menu.

507.2.1 Type I hoods.
Type I hoods shall be installed where cooking appliances produce grease or smoke as a result of the cooking process. Type I hoods shall be installed over medium-duty, heavy-duty and extra-heavy-duty cooking appliances. Type I hoods shall be installed over light-duty cooking appliances that produce grease or smoke.

MEDIUM-DUTY COOKING APPLIANCE. Medium-duty cooking appliances include electric discrete element ranges (with or without oven), electric and gas hot-top ranges, electric and gas griddles, electric and gas double-sided griddles, electric and gas fryers (including open deep fat fryers, donut fryers, kettle fryers and pressure fryers), electric and gas conveyor pizza ovens, electric and gas tilting skillets (braising pans) and electric and gas rotisseries.

I believe the code is pretty clear that a Type I hood is required over a conveyor pizza oven because it is defined as a Medium Duty Cooking Appliance regardless of the menu.

507.2.1 Type I hoods.
Type I hoods shall be installed where cooking appliances produce grease or smoke as a result of the cooking process. Type I hoods shall be installed over medium-duty, heavy-duty and extra-heavy-duty cooking appliances. Type I hoods shall be installed over light-duty cooking appliances that produce grease or smoke.

Exception: A Type I hood shall not be required for an electric cooking appliance where an approved testing agency provides documentation that the appliance effluent contains 5 mg/m3 or less of grease when tested at an exhaust flow rate of 500 cfm (0.236 m3/s) in accordance with UL 710B.

Have not looked at the commentary.

I am wondering if each appliance has to be tested

Can someone post the commentary to the exception???

All I have is the 09 and it is not there.

Thanks

So I did read it correctly

Every appliance has to have its own testing,

To use the exception

cda,

Was that Texas Company out of Dallas and was the oven a Ovention, Model C2000, Conveyor oven with a (UL) report with the conclusion that it does not require a hood?