• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Plan Review question

Re: Plan Review question

Is this a request for a generic, standard plan? One that could be "pre-approved" for use in multiple jurisdictions? Sounds unworkable to me, unless the request is for specific (maybe side-by-side) jurisdictions that use the same code amendments, etc.

I get lots of "standard" plans submitted that wind up getting a long correction letter! In-&-Out Burger, Home Depot, Wal-Mart, Walgreens, etc. all have standard plans done by one designer out of state, but they never get approved on first try...

""""One that could be "pre-approved" for use in multiple jurisdictions""""" and the sections of the plans arch, struc, mep are reviewed by several cities using the I codes, and submitter understands that a city may still add to it when it actualy comes to thier city, but my thinking is the owner will not want the add ons or try to push that other citeies have reviewed it and blessed it with a concensus of comments..

This may be redundant to what I wrote above, but I get lots of large chain-store submittals that have been built in other cities (presumably) according to the submitted plans. I do a complete review, and often have tons of corrections. I don't believe that my correction requests generally fall into the category of local amendments, generally the plans have flaws that may or may not have been caught when submitted to other jurisdictions.

I ignore any claims of "pre-approved" plans that have been approved elsewhere. I don't know if someone is trying to pull on over on me, or the plans have never been reviewed by a competent plan reviewer, but ultimately, they get a thorough local review by me prior to approval.

In answer to your original question, I don't see any value (to the applicant) for having any kind of multi-city or pre-approved plans, since each jurisdiction should perform their own review. The only exception to this might be adjacent jurisdictions that have an interlocul agreement for projects of this type, and have an agreement to similar code interpretations/compliance. Perhaps if a smaller (understaffed) jurisdiction adjacent to a larger one both had Target stores coming, they could arrange this, but in general, what's the point or value?

What Jake said, for the reasons stated by V Paul. Bad idea. Don't believe everything you hear, especially about 'other' jurisdictions.

Cda,

Sounds like there tring to streamline the permit process. Will you still charge the applicant a plan review fee if you use pre-approved plans?

vegas paul

on personal level agree agree agree

Pcinspector1

Sounds like there tring to streamline the permit process. Will you still charge the applicant a plan review fee if you use pre-approved plans?

good question above my pay grade

cda - "good question above my pay grade" Spoken like a true military man! ;)