• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Platforms inside interior offices

NYC Architect74

Hi There.

I am in NYC. We usually work with the 1968 and the 2014 codes here in NYC for existing building renovations (there is also the '38. the '08 and the '22 in case you want to feel my pain!). Since the newer post-2008 NYC codes are based off the IBC, I would gladly take anything you have to share. If you tell me where in the IBC to find the correct sections, I should be able to transfer that to the appropriate NYC code.

We do many office interior renovations where we connect existing floors with a new "access" or "convenience" stair, and usually there is a large platform, containing program surrounding the stair. The platforms usually have 2 steps up and then have seating, or meeting rooms at that level. We do provide ADA accessible ramps with handrails to the platforms. I always argue that, having 2 steps, we need handrails at the steps, but I get a lot of pushback from the designers, who don't like how handrails look. I have been reading the building codes page by page and can't find any conclusive information on what codes actually apply to these platforms. To make matters worse, our firm and most NYC firms will have these small renovations "self-certified", so we rarely get any direct feedback from our building department.

Does anyone know what code sections would apply to this type of platform, or how to even classify it? (Not an egress stair, not a mechanical platform, not a mezzanine, what is it?)

Thanks!

They're stairs (see definition) and I believe all stairs, even one step, are required to have handrails. 1011.11 (2024 IBC) I don't think you meet any of the exceptions.

How is it not an egress stair? How else will occupants of the platform egress?

Thanks for confirming!

Sorry, I meant it is not an EXIT stair.

In the 1968 NYC building code (I know, everyone will find this odd, but unless the building was majorly renovated, you get to remain on the code under which the building was erected), there is a definition for ACCESS STAIR - A stair between two floors, which does not serve as a required exit. So it's on the egress path for sure, and it's a stair by way of the 2 steps, but that ACCESS STAIR definition has been giving us confusion for a long time.

Here is a schematic design example of a stair landing on a larger platform. This one actually has TWO platform levels. Obviously guardrails and handrails have not yet been placed!

1708105693287.png

Last edited:
Hi There.

or how to even classify it? (Not an egress stair, not a mechanical platform, not a mezzanine, what is it?)

1003.5 Elevation change. Where changes in elevation of less than 12 inches (305 mm) exist in the means of egress, sloped surfaces shall be used.

This section would not apply and I mention it as a means to support the premise that what you have is a change in elevation which is recognized by the building code.

An intermediate floor located between the floor and ceiling of a story is a mezzanine. I think your platforms priobably fit that definition under the IBC -- I don't know anything about the old NYC codes.

I thought I remembered something that said for less than three risers no handrail is required, but I can't find it. That may be a carry-over in my brain, left over from BOCA.

MEZZANINE. An intermediate level or levels between the floor and ceiling of any story and in accordance with Section 505. [DSA-AC] An intermediate level or levels between the floor and ceiling of any story with an aggregate floor area of not more than one-third of the area of the room or space in which the level or levels are located. Mezzanines have sufficient elevation that space for human occupancy can be provided on the floor below.

1011.11 Handrails. Flights of stairways shall have handrails on each side and shall comply with Section 1014.
Exception:
Changes in room elevations of three or fewer risers within dwelling units and sleeping units in Group R-2 and R-3 do not require handrails.

An intermediate floor located between the floor and ceiling of a story is a mezzanine. I think your platforms priobably fit that definition under the IBC -- I don't know anything about the old NYC codes.

I thought I remembered something that said for less than three risers no handrail is required, but I can't find it. That may be a carry-over in my brain, left over from BOCA.
in IRC, and as ICE noted of course.

1011.11 Handrails. Flights of stairways shall have handrails on each side and shall comply with Section 1014.
Exception:
Changes in room elevations of three or fewer risers within dwelling units and sleeping units in Group R-2 and R-3 do not require handrails.

That's it. Thanks.

I’ve designed a few of these (platforms). You should be treating it as an egress stair, as someone will logically use it as such in an event. Look at IBC section “410.3 Platform Construction“. Just don’t use the term “stage” on your drawings, as it implies something more. Pay close attention to the fire proofing requirements.

The other part you mentioned about the handrails is required. You can probably get away with just 1 handrail on one side if it’s less than 30” for the platform part of the stairs, but it’s a grey area (imo). You’ll usually want at least 2 handrails to avoid any future litigation. You can place them in different locations if you prefer; opposite sides of the platform or same side (same distances as stair above.

If there’s a part of the platform that you treat as “the stairs” and place two handrails the same distance apart as the rest of the upper part of the stairs, then you don’t need any handrails for the remainder of the platform. This remaining part can be quite large, and can be thought of as seating, gathering space, convenient dance off space, etc. For the “stair” part of the platform, you’ll usually want to place it closest to the upper stairs unless circulation paths dictate a more convenient path. Hope that helps.

NYC codes are different / stricter than the NYS codes so I usually stay away. However handrails typically are within a 30” reach. I’ve seen platforms such as this without handrails except at the walls. It wouldn’t make sense that NYC for existing buildings would go back that far in years. I’m sure there’s a newer version as the state has. This looks like Alteration #2 or maybe #3 from the newest Existing Building Code.

Older buildings in NYC are always done on the 1968 (or older) codes because it is cost prohibitive to upgrade an entire building if only making alterations to 1 or 2 suites. But I believe that new work such as installing a convenience stair would be part of NYC 2022 Code.

Look at IBC section “410.3 Platform Construction“.
I'm a little surprised, since the title of 410 sort of goes in a different direction. Definitely the section I'm in most, working on suggestions to revise the commentary for 2024 and code change proposals for 2027 edition. I'll keep in mind at least someone used it for more than entertainment venues.