• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Platfrom Lifts per ASME A18.1 2008

Kao Chen

Using the 2012 IBC. A business occupancy in an existing building is proposing a platfrom lift from the 1st story to the 2nd story. Per Section 3411.8.3 platform lifts are allowed as a part of an accessible route as long as they comply with ASME A18.1 but are not considered as an accessible means of egress (Sec. 1007.5) unless it meets one of 10 items listed in Section 1109.8. This lift does not meet any of the listed items.
So, they can get wheel chair to the 2nd floor on the lift but there is no way to get the occupant out of the building in case of an emergency. This makes no sense to me. What an I missing? This project does not spec any backup power.
Thanks for you input.

Provide an area of refuge
An area of refuge is a location in a building designed to hold occupants during a fire or other emergency, when evacuation may not be safe or possible. Occupants can wait there until rescued or relieved by firefighters. This can apply to all persons who cannot access a safe escape route.

Using the 2012 IBC. A business occupancy in an existing building is proposing a platfrom lift from the 1st story to the 2nd story. Per Section 3411.8.3 platform lifts are allowed as a part of an accessible route as long as they comply with ASME A18.1 but are not considered as an accessible means of egress (Sec. 1007.5) unless it meets one of 10 items listed in Section 1109.8. This lift does not meet any of the listed items.
So, they can get wheel chair to the 2nd floor on the lift but there is no way to get the occupant out of the building in case of an emergency. This makes no sense to me. What an I missing? This project does not spec any backup power.
Thanks for you input.
Section 3411.8.3 is for existing buildings and Section 1109.8 states that it is for lifts in new buildings; thus, since your building is existing, Section 1109.8 is not applicable. Both of those sections state that a lift is permitted as a component on an accessible route. Section 1007.2 states that an accessible route complying with Section 1104 is permitted to be an accessible means of egress.

Section 1007.5 does not prohibit the use of a lift permitted on an accessible route per Section 3411.8.3. However, if the BO rejects that interpretation, Section 1007.5 only states that it does not allow accessible means of egress to include lifts when the lifts are used for the first nine conditions listed in Section 1109.8 (not to mention that this section is only for new buildings as previously stated, so it should not apply to begin with)—the tenth condition is not restricted. Therefore, if your existing building has a site condition that does not allow the installation of an elevator or a ramp, you can use that option as a fallback.

Ron
Some have not adopted chapter 34, instead rely on the Existing Building Code
That may be true, but since the OP mentioned Section 3411.8.3, I assumed it remained a part of the IBC. Even so, IEBC Section 410.8.3 uses the same language that is in Chapter 34.

That may be true, but since the OP mentioned Section 3411.8.3, I assumed it remained a part of the IBC. Even so, IEBC Section 410.8.3 uses the same language that is in Chapter 34.
Yes you are right, my bad

maybe so but does it also Trump the 20% rule and if not where do you then apply it?
Accessible means of egress and accessible routes are two separate things, although they can be served by the same components. The "20% rule" does not factor into the equation in regard to accessible means of egress.

ANSI A117.1 does not address accessible means of egress because it is a technical document and relies on another document, such as the IBC, to establish scoping requirements. Thus, if the IBC states that existing buildings do not require accessible means of egress, then none are required.

The 2010 ADA Standards refers to the IBC for accessible means of egress requirements per Section 207. Like the ANSI standard, if the IBC states that accessible means of egress are not required, then it is not required by the ADA Standards. However, the ADA Standards do mention specific IBC editions--anything past the 2003 IBC is not mentioned (that shows you how slow the government reacts).