• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Please Post Examples of What You Stamp on Approved Plans/Documents

jar546

Forum Coordinator
Some states require specific verbiage such as "...were reviewed for code compliance..."

I've seen some stamps that have disclaimers putting the code requirements on the contractor, etc.

What do your stamps say?

On the cover page
-Reviewed
-Subject to inspection and compliance to all relevant, adopted building and municipal codes.
-Date

Plus every page that is reviewed is watermarked as reviewed with the permit number, file name and date

Seems like the 2 choices are REVIEWED OR APPROVED

With a perceived difference of responsibility assigned to each term

I found this online:

The issuance of a building permit based on the approved plans does not relieve the contractor from their responsibility to construct the building in accordance with all applicable codes and regulations. The building department's review of the plans and issuance of a permit is not a guarantee or warranty of the building's structural soundness, safety, or fitness for its intended use. The contractor assumes full responsibility for compliance with all applicable codes and standards. Any deviations or changes from the approved plans must be reviewed and approved by the building department.

Great question. I have been wondering the same thing. We have a stamp here that has been used long before I ever got here, and I've often thought that it could (or maybe should) include a bit more language. I'll be very interested to see what others have. Maybe I can make a suggestion to the higher ups for some improvement. Ours reads:

This permit is issued only with the understanding that the design, calculations, load, and forces pertaining to this building are complying with the _______ California Building Code.
Permit No. ________________
Date __________________
By _________________

I was thinking it might be beneficial to add either this direct quote from code, or a summary of this:

Validity of Permit
The issuance or granting of a permit shall not be construed to be a permit for, or an approval of, any violation of any of the provisions of this code or of any other ordinance of the jurisdiction. Permits presuming to give authority to violate or cancel the provisions of this code or other ordinances of the jurisdiction shall not be valid. The issuance of a permit based on construction documents and other data shall not prevent the building official from requiring the correction of errors in the construction documents and other data. The building official is authorized to prevent occupancy or use of a structure where in violation of this code or of any other ordinances of this jurisdiction.

I found this online:

The issuance of a building permit based on the approved plans does not relieve the contractor from their responsibility to construct the building in accordance with all applicable codes and regulations. The building department's review of the plans and issuance of a permit is not a guarantee or warranty of the building's structural soundness, safety, or fitness for its intended use. The contractor assumes full responsibility for compliance with all applicable codes and standards. Any deviations or changes from the approved plans must be reviewed and approved by the building department.
hasd this verbatim for a previous AHJ. Must have pulled from the same sources.

Great question. I have been wondering the same thing. We have a stamp here that has been used long before I ever got here, and I've often thought that it could (or maybe should) include a bit more language. I'll be very interested to see what others have. Maybe I can make a suggestion to the higher ups for some improvement. Ours reads:

This permit is issued only with the understanding that the design, calculations, load, and forces pertaining to this building are complying with the _______ California Building Code.
Permit No. ________________
Date __________________
By _________________

I was thinking it might be beneficial to add either this direct quote from code, or a summary of this:

Validity of Permit
The issuance or granting of a permit shall not be construed to be a permit for, or an approval of, any violation of any of the provisions of this code or of any other ordinance of the jurisdiction. Permits presuming to give authority to violate or cancel the provisions of this code or other ordinances of the jurisdiction shall not be valid. The issuance of a permit based on construction documents and other data shall not prevent the building official from requiring the correction of errors in the construction documents and other data. The building official is authorized to prevent occupancy or use of a structure where in violation of this code or of any other ordinances of this jurisdiction.
I believe that if you look at the statutes you will find what is required.

When you don't adopt the admin portion of the code then I guess you may need to plagiarize portions of it and create a stamp.

ICC codes
[A] 105.4 Validity of permit.

Reference CALBO publication "Selected State Laws Enforced by Building Departments"

As long as they are budling what they were permitted for and what they built meets there code requirements with correctly sized the joists, headers, beams, plumber and electricians have not gone wild we are good.

I usually only stamp plans with "approved" and my signature/qualifications if there have been multiple revisions of the plans.
Boilerplate for permits reads
"Construction is not to deviate from the approved construction plans without written permission of the building inspector; and shall not deviate from approved site plans without written permission from the development officer."