• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Plumbing code exception for 2 restrooms

Robert

CPC has an exception allowing one single user restroom IF it is a business occupancy of 50 or less occupancy load. In my case, I'm looking at a cafe. My confusion comes with the following occupancy definitions: Assembly Group A-2 "restaurants, cafeterias and similar dining facilities" and Business Group B "food processing establishments and commercial kitchens not associated with restaurants, cafeterias and similar dining facilities not more than 2500 sq. ft." The comma has me confused.....are they saying that a cafe less than 2500 sq. ft can be considered B (a dining facility) as opposed to A-2.....and thus allowed the single user restroom exception? Thanks in advance.

Assembly uses, less than 50 occupants are considered a (B) business occupancy . One restroom per the building and plumbing codes, but if you serving alcohol, ABC sometimes requires a urinal.

CPC 422.2 exception 3 confuses me. Using this cafe example, his small cafe is a B, and for discussion purposes, lets say it has an occupant load of 40 people. Per Table A, 20Men + 20Women. Table 422.1 tells me a need Men = 1 T + 1 Ur, and Women =2T and a lav in each. Does 422.2 exception 3 tell me that I only need one restroom with a single Toilet and Lav for the whole business? And it would be gender neutral in Calif......

If it is B occupancy with OL of 50 or less, one unisex toilet room can be provided. The single use toilet room must include one water closet, lavatory and urinal. Also it requires a floor drain.

If it is B occupancy with OL of 50 or less, one unisex toilet room can be provided. The single use toilet room must include one water closet, lavatory and urinal. Also it requires a floor drain.
a urinal and floor drain are not required as a part of a "one toilet facility". establishments serving alcohol may be required to have a urinal. the second fixture will trigger the floor drain

the second fixture will trigger the floor drain
Not sure i agree with that. There is a recent discussion here about 2 restrooms with the lavs in a common area. The lav area has a floor drain, the mens room has a floor drain because it has a urinal. The womens room has two potties but no floor drain.

Not sure i agree with that. There is a recent discussion here about 2 restrooms with the lavs in a common area. The lav area has a floor drain, the mens room has a floor drain because it has a urinal. The womens room has two potties but no floor drain.
Per UPC 418.3, floor drain is required where toilet room contains two or more water closets; one water closet and one urinal.

Reactions: ICE
Min Lim is correct. I missed the floor drain in the women's can during a restaurant TI ..which I didn't know...and Min Lim was kind enough to point out.

I find it especially gratifying to learn new things. My only regret is that it doesn’t happen more often.

Last edited:
The word "unisex" is no longer in the CA code.

code section that requires a urinal in a one toilet facility? code section that requires a floor drain in a one toilet facility?
Per CPC (UPC) Table 422.1, A or B occupancy requires minimum one urinal in addition to water closet, then floor drain is required per CPC 418.3 (3). Section 422.2 allows a singe-use toilet room for three conditions, but it does not eliminate the required number of fixtures.
I know it is odd. AHJ or Building Official may not require urinal and/or floor drain.

Do not agree with your interpretation. the exception 422.2 (3) indicates that a single toilet facility serving 50 or less shall be permitted for use by both sexes. I view this as an exception to the minimum plumbing fixture tables.