• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Plumbing Codes By State and Territory

ZanneJ

Bronze Member
This is a compilation listing the codes used in each state and territory of the US. Most of the list came from the terrylove.com forum, but I also found additional info from http://www.tests.com/State-Plumbing-Codes-License.

There are two main plumbing codes used in the US: IPC (International Plumbing Code) (see also this link) and UPC (Uniform Plumbing Code) - 2009 version. It should be noted that some states use their own code but most are based on IPC or UPC precursors. There is also the NSPC (National Standard Plumbing Code) adopted by one state.

Alabama- IPC adopted by Local Governments

Alaska- UPC adopted at State level but IPC in use locally

Arizona- UPC adopted at State level but IPC in use locally

Arkansas- uses IPC

California- California Plumbing Code based on UPC (for pdf see this)

Colorado- uses IPC

Connecticut- IPC effective Statewide

D.C.- IPC effective in city

Delaware- IPC effective Statewide

Florida- IPC effective Statewide

Georgia- IPC effective Statewide http://www.plumbingpros.com/pdf/dwvents.pdf

Guam- uses IPC

Hawaii uses UPC

Idaho- uses IPC

Illinois- Develops their own code but IPC adopted by Local Governments

Indiana- as of 2012 it uses IPC second printing)

Iowa- IPC adopted by Local Governments but UPC adopted statewide

Kansas- uses IPC

Kentucky- Kentucky State Plumbing Code based on IPC precursor

Louisiana- uses Louisiana State Plumbing Code based on IPC precursor

Maine- IPC adopted by Local Governments

Maryland- uses IPC

Massachusetts- uses UPC , 248 CMR 10.00.

Michigan- IPC effective Statewide

Minnesota- uses Minnesota Plumbing Code (link is to 2012 version)

Mississippi- IPC adopted by Local Governments

Missouri- uses UPC

Montana- uses UPC

Nebraska- uses IPC

Nevada- uses IPC

New Hampshire- IPC effective Statewide

New Jersey- uses NSPC

New Mexico- uses the New Mexico Plumbing Code based on UPC

New York- IPC effective Statewide

North Carolina- IPC effective Statewide

North Dakota- uses IPC

Ohio- IPC effective Statewide

Oklahoma- IPC effective Statewide

Oregon- uses the Oregon Specialty Plumbing Code based on UPC

Pennsylvania- adopted IPC

Puerto Rico- IPC effective Statewide

Rhode Island- IPC effective Statewide

South Carolina- IPC effective Statewide

South Dakota- uses UPC

Tennessee- IPC effective Statewide

Texas- IPC at State but Austin, Houston, San Antonio use UPC

The Texas State Board of Plumbing Examiners recognizes the 2006 editions of the UPC, IPC, & IFGC which means each city or town in the state can either adopt the UPC or IPC/IFGC regardless of edition.

Utah- IPC effective Statewide

Vermont- uses 1990 BOCA (which is now under IPC )

Virgin Islands- uses UPC

Virginia- IPC effective Statewide

Washington- uses UPC (Uniform Plumbing Code 2012-Washington)

West Virginia- IPC effective Statewide

Wisconsin- uses Wisconsin Statutes Comm 81-87

Wyoming- Both IPC & UPC used by Local Governments

Changes to UPC Plumbing Code in 2012.

IPC from 1998

Free Plumbing Code E-Books

If anyone has any amendments, corrections, updated links, or additional info; please share. Hopefully this will help people to at least get an idea of what the codes are where they live. I tried to color code it to make it easier to differentiate.

Michigan uses a modified version of the IPC (MPC) (Administrative Rule Part 7) for multi-family and commercial buildings. Michigan modifies Part VII of the IRC (MRC) for One-and Two-Family Dwellings/Townhouses (currently listed in Administrative Rule 4). These modifications will move to Administrative Rule 5 with adoption of the 2012 IRC (MRC).

Arizona used to have a state plumbing code but deleted it a few years ago.

Sent from my SCH-I925 using Tapatalk

To clarify, New York State uses a modified version of the IPC currently based on the 2006 with an update coming next year that will be based on the 2015.

Thanks for the additional info. I do wish that I could go back and edit the original post to update the info, but for some reason I'm blocked from doing that. Oh well, subsequent posts should be able to help.

ZanneJ - In order to edit a post I believe you would need to be a 'Sawhorse' (paid member). Perhaps an administrator could either allow you to edit or edit for you?

Unless things have changed since I left NC uses the NC state code.

Ahh. Thank you for explaining that, JBI. I think I will probably have to get an admin to edit for me if they want to.

Sifu, I looked it up and found the 2012 North Carolina Plumbing Code, so I believe they might still use their own code. The sites I found that listed didn't specify that though. I wonder if anything changed in the last 2 years.

Or, pony up for the sawhorse if you want to fully access the site........worth the money...........