• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Plumbing Permit Fees In NYC

LPFerrante

Hello,

I live in Manhattan and will be doing a renovation for my bathroom.

I'm in the process of reviewing contractor bids.

One contractor billed the following for filing a plumbing permit:
Plumbing: $2,800

on the NYC DOB website, I found that the Plumbing permit is based on the cost of the project.

I have three questions:
1) Is the fee the contractor is billing in line with other contractors in New York City?
2) Is the plumbing permit fee based on the total project cost accurate?

Thanks!

Get multiple bids and compare. Often times contractors will estimate what the local authority will charge and then double, triple, or more. This covers their time in submitting, responding to review comments, etc.

We cannot answer your question directly. You need to review the proposal wholistically. If you want your contractor to explicitly detail out the quote, listing exact prices for permit, materials, their time, then ask them. It probably won't be in your favor though - sets the tone you may be a needy client.

Get multiple bids and compare. Often times contractors will estimate what the local authority will charge and then double, triple, or more. This covers their time in submitting, responding to review comments, etc.

We cannot answer your question directly. You need to review the proposal wholistically. If you want your contractor to explicitly detail out the quote, listing exact prices for permit, materials, their time, then ask them. It probably won't be in your favor though - sets the tone you may be a needy client.
I've only done one contractor so far, who broke them out, as you could see from my post. I'm going to be havng three more, so it will give me a good lay of the renovations landscape. This was very helpful. Thanks!

We only do commercial projects, but we always pay an “expediting fee” in nyc. On top of the actual permit cost. Theoretically it’s supposed to get the permit through the system faster, and 20 yrs ago it probably worked. Now it’s probably just a markup to cover the many hours required to submit, submit, and submit again.

We only do commercial projects, but we always pay an “expediting fee” in nyc. On top of the actual permit cost. Theoretically it’s supposed to get the permit through the system faster, and 20 yrs ago it probably worked. Now it’s probably just a markup to cover the many hours required to submit, submit, and submit again.
There is a valid point in paying for someone's expertise, for sure, but at some point, the multiple becomes a bit large, like the law firms who bill $15 a page for faxes, when that was done. Funny story about that. My friend, who is a lawyer, would get those type of bills from other firms. His reply to me was "Oh, I just rip those up." with a smile.