• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Plumbing/shower fixtures on exterior wall

Madmax

Hello - I'm trying to avoid having an interior wall built to house the plumbing (water supply lines) for a shower head and fixtures. One wall is 100% external, and one is bottom half internal/top half exterior (attic). Ideally I would like the other two to be glass. Does the building code allow for this and if so, how can I mitigate the risk of freezing? I live in Ontario. Thanks in advance.

I agree with TheCommish. Make sure all the insulation is outside the pipes, and provide an air barrier between the insulation and pipes.

Also, if you really want to be sure your pipes won't freeze, glook for self-regulating heat cable, aka "heating tape" for the pipe. When temperatures are above freezing, it uses almost no electricity. As temperatures drop, the electrical resistance increases, emitting heat into the pipe