• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Pocket Doors and ADA Restroom

Can a 36" pocket door be used as an accessible entrance into an ADA compliant/required restroom?
Yes, please see this link, it provides the 32" clearance as a passage door. You will need to have the pull style handles set 1.60" from the edge of the door and from the pocket face to prevent knuckle crushing. you need at least 1.5" clear on either side of the pull hardware.
Can a 36" pocket door be used as an accessible entrance into an ADA compliant/required restroom?
Yes, please go to this website on L. E. Johnson site - https://johnsonhardware.com/installation-instructions - look for this model INHDCPPD; this kit will meet ADA and FHAG compliance- you will also the see top view of the handle placement i described. I don't think the trimco provide for clear hand space on both stop and pocket wall face.

Attachments

• ADA PocketDoor RR Plan-USAB.pdf
    441.7 KB · Views: 4
  • CR Lawrence 10 inch pull with 3 inch stand off PH-CM10X10.pdf
    355.1 KB · Views: 3
  • CL100 Indicator Lock Template and Instructions US.pdf
    295.5 KB · Views: 2
  • Door Pulls-Handles.pdf
    83.6 KB · Views: 3
A few more options for pocket doors plus plan in previous response. The cavilock is pricey but to me worth it I have one now going 6 years no problems in a deli restaurant store it is still going strong best on for access and privacy. The eclisse I specd for a restaurant dining area with blinds also shown in the previous response. The eclesse are self-closing which our DOH required.

Attachments

• INHDCPPD.pdf
    81.1 KB · Views: 1
  • CL100 ADA Lever US.pdf
    660.9 KB · Views: 2
  • US ADA compliant pocket door self closing.pdf
    176 KB · Views: 1
this hardware caused hands to be pinched by the upward or downward swing. I have tested it.
Don't think I get to regulate that....As long as it doesn't REQUIRE pinching...

1010.2.2 Hardware. Door handles, pulls, latches, locks
and other operating devices on doors required to be
accessible by Chapter 11 shall not require tight grasping,
tight pinching or twisting of the wrist to operate.