• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

POLL: 10 year battery

Does your jurisdiction require that smoke alarm be equipped with a non-replaceable ten year battery?

• yes

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • no

Votes: 4 66.7%

• Total voters

ICE

Oh Well
California requires that smoke alarms have a ten year battery that can't be replaced. The alarms are expensive but won't start chirping for ten years... or so the manufacturers claim.

No...and mine lasted about7 years..But who wants to get better than a C anyway....Just seems like a lot of work to be more than mediocre...

I don't like the question. A 10 year battery is an option for existing properties, but hard-wired is the requirement. If you qualify to use a batter SA, then it has to be 10 year. I did not answer the poll due to this confusion.

On a related note, for public housing subject to CBC 11B for dwelling units with "communication features", where you are using detectors with built-in strobe alarms:
Kidde (and other manufacturers) state that in event of 120 volt power failure, the built-in 10 year battery will power the audible alarm but will NOT power the built-in strobe.
We are starting to get comments from CASPs that these communication dwelling units need an additional external 120 volt emergency power supply.

Is the 10 year battery option in the IRC?
Not that I can find.

California has Health and Safety Codes, Senate Bills and Amendments that regulate beyond what the building codes require. For example, 120-volt garage door openers are required to have a battery backup to provide power in case the grid power goes down. People were found in cars, in garages after the Paradise fire. It was presumed that they perished because they couldn't open the garage door due to no electricity. As a result of a few deaths, the entire state has been ordered to only install new openers with a battery backup.

I didn't see the polls accuracy disclaimer. +/- . Are you using "Cochran's or Yamane's formula?

No requirement here, but I believe the manufactures recommend replacing the whole detector within ten years.

So the answer is yes, but once a permit is required we go above the Illinois requirement and need all hard wired smoke alarms with battery backup and interconnected.​

Illinois Smoke Alarm Law​

Effective January 1, 2023​

The updated law requires Illinois residents to replace their old smoke alarms with the type that has a long-term, 10-year sealed battery. This would apply to residents that are still using alarms with removable batteries or alarms that are not hardwire.

Last edited:
In Canada, code requires a hardwired soke alarm, no exceptions. In addition, it has to have battery backup:

in case the regular power supply to the smoke alarm is interrupted, be provided with a battery as an alternative power source that can continue to provide power to the smoke alarm for a period of no less than 7 days in the normal condition, followed by 4 minutes of alarm.