• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

pool deck lighting

peach

LED lighting within 5' of the deck..

I have an issue with allowing it. since the transformer from "high" to "low" volt is still within 5'...

thoughts? thanks

peach said:
LED lighting within 5' of the deck.. I have an issue with allowing it. since the transformer from "high" to "low" volt is still within 5'...

thoughts? thanks
Is the transformer grounded?

GFCI?

What is your issue?

How will the luminaire (that is what is mentioned in the NEC not the driver) be gfci protected on the secondary side of the driver? I believe going from ac to dc as in a SDS (separately derivived system) how would one provide GFCI protection on the secondary. Just asking? Not possible regardless of being <> 12v. So back to NEC 411.4 (B) or 96 NEC 411-4.

Possibly dangerous..

Peach,

I don't think that there is any way to provide GFCI protection on the secondary side of the LED driver, so 411.4(B) would prohibit a LED luminaire within 10 feet from the edge of the pool.

Chris

That's what I thought.. now I need to go to battle with the lighting designer.

Thanks Chris

The problem is being a separately derived system. If a fault or current leakage would occur on the secondary side, which in this case is the luminaire. Look at the definition of an SDS. Reason I mention this is an electrical contractor said gfci the primary. I mentioned there are no common conductors between the systems..... where is a fault going to clear?