• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Pool gate locks

beach

Gold Member
I have a pool in a condo project that, for security reasons, the association wants to put self-latching locks, keyed both sides, on their self-closing gates. Basically, you would not be able to egress the pool area without a key. I can't find any clear cut answer in the code (Calif.).... I know the "Latch" must be min. 5' above grade with a self closing gate opening out. Egress requirements in the code typically refer to exiting out of a building, but what if you are already outside? Do the egress requirements pertain to outside gated areas? Does distance from a building and a "safe refuge" come into play?

Any help would be appreciated!

Do you have to go back through the building to get to a public way? Is it like a courtyard?

I don't see anything that would prevent what they propose. Closest I can get to an outdoor area like this is the definition of A-5, which clearly is not applicable to this area.

If you feel strongly that this is a life safety hazard, there is always F102.1 #4 [2003].

Since you need a key to get in, you should be able to get out. I don't really see an issue, but I don't know the whole layout.

cbc 3109.4 Residential swimming pools. Residential swimming pools shall comply with Sections 3109.4.1 through 3109.4.3.

iT DOES NOT SAY, ANYTHING ABOUT OUTSIDE OR INSIDE, SHALL.

Not sure about Ca code but IBC 2006

3109.4.1.7 Gates.

Access gates shall comply with the requirements of Sections 3109.4.1.1 through 3109.4.1.6 and shall be equipped to accommodate a locking device. Pedestrian access gates shall open outward away from the pool and shall be self-closing and have a self-latching device. Gates other than pedestrian access gates shall have a self-latching device. Release mechanisms shall be in accordance with Sections 1008.1.8 and 1109.13. Where the release mechanism of the self-latching device is located less than 54 inches (1372 mm) from the bottom of the gate, the release mechanism shall be located on the pool side of the gate at least 3 inches (76 mm) below the top of the gate, and the gate and barrier shall have no opening greater than 0.5 inch (12.7 mm) within 18 inches (457 mm) of the release mechanism.

1008.1.8 Door operations.

Except as specifically permitted by this section egress doors shall be readily openable from the egress side without the use of a key or special knowledge or effort.

So the answer to the keyed lock from the gress side would be No

I think mtl's section answers it nicely. I also think his post was much nicer, since he wasn't SCREAMING!

In my defense, that language ("Release mechanisms shall be in accordance with Sections 1008.1.8 and 1109.13") is not in the 2003 IBC.

As the OP did not mention year of code, I will also note that I QUOTED THE VERSION OF THE CODE I WAS USING.

And yes, my screaming was done in jest, don't go gettin all offended.

Tim