• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Positive latching corridor doors in education facility

murdawg67

Can anyone tell me if anywhere in the 2006 IBC there is a requirement for corridor doors (classroom doors) to be positive latching on either sprinkled or unsprinkled building?

Thank you.

I found you by doing a search for my question above. I looked through the forum but could only find references to healthcare.

Thank you for the info.

ok, it is a health care occupancy???

what type

hospital, dr. office, psych ward, assisted living???

now the type of occupancy makes a difference

I checked the 2006 IBC, and Table 1017.1 requires a 1-hour fire partition for the corridor walls in schools without sprinkler systems. Per Table 715.4, a 1-hour fire partition requires a 20-minute fire door assembly. Fire door assemblies (with a few exceptions) require doors to be self-closing and positive-latching. A fully-sprinklered school does not require rated corridors (Table 1017.1) so the doors are not required to be rated or self-closing/positive-latching. Someone correct me if I'm reading that wrong.

Table 715.4 is shown on this blog post: I Dig Hardware / I Hate Hardware » Decoded: Opening Protectives (June 2011)

I wrote this article with regard to classroom door closers, but it gives the NFPA 101 perspective and might be helpful for background info: I Dig Hardware / I Hate Hardware » Decoded: Closers on Classroom Doors (April 2011)

Schools often utilize lockdown plans, such as described in IFC 404.3.3. If the classroom doors are unable to be locked, then special consideration may need to be given to address security concerns.

In the absence of such advance thought, users may improvise and develop a solution that violates provisions of IBC 1008.1.9 for means of egress door operations; perhaps utilizing door wedges to prevent doors from being opened into the classroom or installing surface bolts after the building has been approved for occupancy.