• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Post Base Question for Elevated Deck Adjacent to Residence

Michael Cobb

SAWHORSE
I am discussing wood deck posts with a structural engineer her in California. We are reviewing CRC 317.1.4

They believe this code section allows pressure-treated wood to be closer than 6” or even in contact with the ground.

It is their sense the “exceptions” listed in this code section are exceptions that allow wood to NOT be pressure treated. It was my sense the exceptions are listing proximities where even if something is pressure treated it is NOT permissible to use wood.

In my experience, typical wood post bases for decks surrounded by open ground are required to 6” off the ground. Certainly 317.1.2 allows for ground contact wood to be pressure treated, but it is my understanding this only pertains to wood that is not otherwise functioning in the structural capacities listed in the other sections.

Could someone help clarify this? I'm questioning my learning here. If we use pressure-treated posts, can we cast the posts directly into the ground? I didn't think we could, but it is being suggested otherwise. Any help is greatly appreciated. I am attaching a typical detail put out by our local building department also.

Post Base Question.jpg

Attachments

• Post Base Detail for Code Review.jpg
    Post Base Detail for Code Review.jpg
    541.3 KB · Views: 1
Well, I'm probably wrong, but the opening paragraph says all pt or naturally decay resistant. The exceptions allow non treated non decay resistant wood under those specific conditions. But in California, who knows.

Reactions: ICE
Well, I'm probably wrong, but the opening paragraph says all pt or naturally decay resistant. The exceptions allow non treated non decay resistant wood under those specific conditions. But in California, who knows.
That’s how i read it. Seems very plain. Much more so than many other sections.

The key word is approved pressure-preservative-treated wood

R317.1 Location required.
Protection of wood and wood-based products from decay shall be provided in the following locations by the use of naturally durable wood or wood that is preservative-treated in accordance with AWPA U1.

The table below identifies the types and their use based on the level of retention of preservatives.

Types of Pressure Treated Lumber and Where to Use Them
TypeLocationUses
UC1Interior DryStud framing & baseboards
UC2Interior WetSill & bottom plates, damp locations, basement framing, bathrooms, flooring, baseboards
UC3AExterior Above Ground, Coated with Rapid RunoffProtected decking, fascia & trim
BExterior Above Ground, Uncoated or Poor RunoffCedar shakes, exterior stairs, joists, beams, decking, railings and fence boards/pickets, any wood within 6” of soil & vegetation
UC4AGround Contact,

General use
Fence, deck & structural posts, ledgers, retaining walls, garden boxes, any wood within 6” of soil, vegetation, or freshwater, or poor air circulation
BGround Contact,

Heavy-duty use
As with UC4A plus posts set into the ground, retaining walls, wood foundations & supports, freshwater contact, saltwater spray, garden & utility posts
CGround Contact,

Extreme duty use
Pilings or wood in direct installation in soil, gravel, concrete, freshwater, or extreme weather exposure
UC5AMarine Use, northern waters,

Salt or brackish water
Contact & immersion in cold ocean waters north of Long Island & San Francisco, docks, piers, wharves, shore walls, boardwalks, & buildings
BMarine Use, central waters,

Salt or brackish water
Contact & immersion in warmer ocean waters south of San Francisco and Long Island, and similar to UC5A
CMarine Use, southern waters,

Salt or brackish water
Contact & immersion in warm Gulf Coast waters & south of Georgia, and similar to UC5A
UCFAInterior Above Ground

Fire Protection
Interior construction, no ground or moisture contact, fire partition walls, kitchens, hallway & stairwell framing
BExterior Above Ground

Fire Protection
Exterior construction, exposure to weather but not ground contact, porches, exterior stairs, window treatments

look to the IBC. We are asking the IRC to address an issue it never intended to address.

look to the IBC. We are asking the IRC to address an issue it never intended to address.
I don't understand. It was a question on the IRC, and e hilton and I agreed on interpretation. If you're referring to mtlogcabin comment, well maybe.

We are asking the IRC to address an issue it never intended to address.
The IRC does address which type of pressure treated wood is treated for a specific use through the AWPA. No need to go to the IBC.

R317.1.2 Ground contact.
All wood in contact with the ground, embedded in concrete in direct contact with the ground or embedded in concrete exposed to the weather that supports permanent structures intended for human occupancy shall be approved pressure-preservative-treated wood suitable for ground contact use, except that untreated wood used entirely below groundwater level or continuously submerged in fresh water shall not be required to be pressure-preservative treated.