• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Post beam construction header

Shimbob

What are the codes for headers using 4x6” post 8’ tall and 8 foot spacing.
14x20’ building 8’ tall.
Ridge beam metal roof rafters 4’ spacing
With 2x4 perlins on 2’ oc

Welcome!

Not enough information. What is your question specifically? What is your snow loading where you are at?

Sounds like a post frame (aka pole barn) building. Generally, these would require an engineer, who should design all the headers.

If you're asking about the headers that carry trusse (yes? not rafters?) between the posts, aka truss carriers, registered engineer. If only for windows and doors below truss carriers, usually same as the wall girts that support the siding.

There are not prescriptive codes for these like there are for western (platform) framed, balloon framed, and simply masonry houses. It's all engineered.

The lumber yards around here have the software from the manufactures of the engineered wood products they sell and can easily spec out a beam for the local wind and structural loads you should meet. A one piece pre-engineered wood LVL beam wood be stronger and better than anything you can build yourself onsite. Check with your local lumber yard for help

Welcome!

Not enough information. What is your question specifically? What is your snow loading where you are at?
Very little snow in NC I am using 4”x6” posts to build a 14’x20’ pole barn, 8’ wall height. Also 8’ spacing on posts. My question is what is acceptable for the header. Am thinking about 2x10 all around
In side and out. Is this acceptable?

if the trusses are sitting on these at mid span - a typical post frame detail - it requires a calculation that I can't do here. Trusses should have an engineered drawing that should show the reaction at each end. With that you can calculate those headers. I have a proposal from a post frame company with trusses 4' and posts 8' and the header is 4 - 2x12s. 28' span and 60 psf snow load but I think a single 2x10 is very light.

if the trusses are sitting on these at mid span - a typical post frame detail - it requires a calculation that I can't do here. Trusses should have an engineered drawing that should show the reaction at each end. With that you can calculate those headers. I have a proposal from a post frame company with trusses 4' and posts 8' and the header is 4 - 2x12s. 28' span and 60 psf snow load but I think a single 2x10 is very light.
My spam is 14’ ,4 2x12 seems like a lot

Very little snow in NC I am using 4”x6” posts to build a 14’x20’ pole barn, 8’ wall height. Also 8’ spacing on posts. My question is what is acceptable for the header. Am thinking about 2x10 all around
In side and out. Is this acceptable?
What you are trying to build is outside of the prescriptive building codes and requires engineering. Your roof load is 20psf based on snow loading but we don't know what wind zone you are in and even if we did, it is outside the scope of the prescriptive codes. Again, this needs to be engineered. With that being said, there are other forums where you can get opinions that have zero merit and find a group of guys to tell you what size, how to connect to the post and that everything will be OK. If you are pulling a permit, this should have been checked already by the BD.

What are the codes for headers using 4x6” post 8’ tall and 8 foot spacing.
14x20’ building 8’ tall.
Ridge beam metal roof rafters 4’ spacing
With 2x4 perlins on 2’ oc
i hate to be negative sounding. There is nothing but science involved here. But there are so many times where I see what actually happens in different environments and situations. That engineers fail to ever experience what happ on the field

i hate to be negative sounding. There is nothing but science involved here. But there are so many times where I see what actually happens in different environments and situations. That engineers fail to ever experience what happ on the field
Sorry.. I had couple drinks. But my opinion,(I guess) has not changed. I love that we are all heading for the same goal. every situation is different. Let’s just try and use common sense? I just went thru a job that had an island and the code requires a receptacle on that island. This job is on concrete slab condo. So the tell me I have to jackhammer floor to get a wire to island.((really?)). I have a table that will go there which is a little less money but I don’t want to cheap out. ?????. Do they want me to put a receptical on my table? Please help