• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Power Over Ethernet

LGreene

A low-voltage license is required to install electrified door hardware. If the hardware uses ethernet cables, is a low voltage license required in order to make those connections at the door?

LGreene said:
A low-voltage license is required to install electrified door hardware. If the hardware uses ethernet cables, is a low voltage license required in order to make those connections at the door?
You are saying a low-voltage license is required. Wouldn't that carry the installation all the way to the final connection?

I don't know! I was just throwing out food for thought.

You are saying a low-voltage license is required. Wouldn't that carry the installation all the way to the final connection?
Let me rephrase...the electrified hardware in use today requires a low voltage license, including the connections at the hardware. I'm wondering if using ethernet cables which just plug in would have any effect on the licensing requirement.

Not every jurisdiction requires licensed contractors to install low voltage... I think that's what the others were trying to say. If the hardware (which can't specify that a licensed contractor is required, only the AHJ can) is installed in a jurisdiction that requires low voltage to be installed by a licensed installer, then YES, I would agree that even the ethernet installation would require a licensed installer.

Thanks Paul. That's what I was asking...IF a low voltage license is required for traditional 24VDC wiring in a given jurisdiction, would the fact that ethernet is "plug and play" make any difference. Unofficially, of course. I appreciate everyone's input as always.