• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

power source for smoke dettection, residential

codeworks

Gold Member
How are folks handling the power source requirements for residential smoke detection. I'm used to pulling power off the local lighting circuit, that way the smokes don't get shut off at the panel. ( most folks want light) this was required by the jurisdiction i worked in previously as an electrician. being in a new job, and seeing a dedicated circuit for the smokes, which i'm not used to, we had a discussion, and now i'm looking for back up, not "made up" code requirements. I didn't see any thing specific in the 2006 IRC about where power had to come from, i'm pretty familier with the nec (2008) and don't find it there either.

R314.4 Power source

Seems to indicate that they may be put on a single disconnecting switch. I don't like it either.

I see that , I'm just used to being required to come off of the lighting circuit, so, I "assumed" it was required. I guess it's not. Thanks

We amended the section to specifically require the power come from a lighting circuit.

Interesting that with all the combined experience of the NFPA, there has never been evidence that there is an issue with the code. Not that this keeps anyone from conjuring up issues from their imagination and then writing code based upon it.

But of course that is the primary code development process underlying the IBC.