• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Prefabricated container hotel is type 1 construction - are unlimited area requirements in 507 and rear yards required?

rjjh

This is probably an easy answer…

I have a modular prebfab container hotel that is:

1. manufactured as type 1 construction, steel and concrete
  2. primarily R-1 and B occupancy,
  3. Proposed mixed occupancy non-separated,
  4. single story and proposed area of 24,000 sf.

CBC 506.2 shows the tabular area as unlimited, so will i need to conform to the requirements in 507 even though i do not meet the rear yard requirement (less than 15’ on one side)?

Is it possible to keep the mixed occupancy non separated?

Or is this where CBC 503.1.3 comes into play?

If not an issue, how do I determine or show the max area?

This is probably an easy answer…

I have a modular prebfab container hotel that is:

1. manufactured as type 1 construction, steel and concrete
  2. primarily R-1 and B occupancy,
  3. Proposed mixed occupancy non-separated,
  4. single story and proposed area of 24,000 sf.

CBC 506.2 shows the tabular area as unlimited, so will i need to conform to the requirements in 507 even though i do not meet the rear yard requirement (less than 15’ on one side)?

Is it possible to keep the mixed occupancy non separated?

Or is this where CBC 503.1.3 comes into play?

If not an issue, how do I determine or show the max area?
If your type I construction and table 506.2 give you an unlimited tabular area, you do not need to comply with section 507. Section 507 lists the conditions for building to have an unlimited area when not allowed for by 506.2.

Remember that it is not necessarily Type I construction because it is just steel and concrete; you must provide the fire resistance required per Table 601.