• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Prefabricated in-ground storm shelters

Darren Emery

We're starting to see more and more of these. Wondering how others handle these? Permit required? Contractor license required to install? Other thoughts?

We had some one try and use a section of precast storm sewer pipe as a storm shelter. We did'nt let it get over the counter.

gbhammer said:
We had some one try and use a section of precast storm sewer pipe as a storm shelter. We did'nt let it get over the counter.
Why not? It was "storm" sewer pipe - sounds perfect! :p

It was a great idea:roll:. He wanted to trench about four feet:idea:, then lay the pipe:eek:, then push the excavated dirt around the sides;), and cap both ends with gravel:banghd. We asked how he was going to get in and out and he said he would leave a gap on one side to skinny in and out of. We calculated the floor area to be under 120 sq. ft. and told him no permit required:surr.

If you get a chance take the FEMA storm shelter class. You will learn alot. They do have an approved shelter constructed of storm pipe stood on end, installed under slab prior to pouring, in a interior room.

We had one installed into an existing attached garage. They cut out a section of the concrete slab, dug out the dirt deep enough for the storm shelter and dropped it into the hole. Then they poured concrete around it to encase it. I required a permit for this one just to see how it worked. Doubt if I would require one again.

There is an ICC/National Storm Shelter Association standard for the design and construction of storm shelters. It's "ICC?NSSA 500-2008". It was developed in conjunction with FEMA. This can be adopted just like all other codes. My juridiction has not yet adopted this code but we are considering it since we are located in tornado alley.

We are seeing a lot too. The one that came in this week was by a company called StormREP. it is an under slab Garage kit that seats 4-6. stormrep.com

Apparently the sales reps are walking the neighborhoods. Four different people walked in asking about it. We have not adopted the ICC-500, but we reference it as a preferred design standard along with FEMA's designs.

Do you ask the applicants how they plan to get out when all of

that debris is on top of their access door, ..or ventilation air,

..handrails, ..ground water infiltration, etc.?

We had one a few yrs. back, wanting to install one of these

"below the Garage foundation" kits. I asked as many questions

as I knew to ask, but the applicant already had their mind

made up. We never inspected any of the project! The plans

that he submitted were pretty much a marketing brochure

from the company selling their product. Not approved by any

standards that I could determine.

Last edited by a moderator:
globe trekker said:
Do you ask the applicants how they plan to get out when all ofthat debris is on top of their access door, ..or ventilation air,

..handrails, ..ground water infiltration, etc.?

Just heard a news story on the way home today. Surveys are apparently being taken of those who have these shelters installed so that the people in them can be located in the aftermath. Didn't catch if it was a local deal or national. FWIW I wouldn't want one if I didn't have a pretty reasonable assurance of a way out, no matter what the obstacle. I also don't think I would necessarily want anyone else to know about my "bunker" either. I have ICC-500 and recommend it but have not adopted it. Mostly I have people rigging their own up.

Sifu said:
Mostly I have people rigging their own up.
I once saw an old van buried in the backyard of a mobile home. The rear doors were exposed so people could climb in and out. Redneck storm shelter. One day I'm going to get a picture of that sucker.

I've seen the same thing done as an addition to a mobile home.

Duct tape, a tarp, and an extension cord were also involved.