• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Preparing a Codes Course - any help?

Mac

Gold Member
Didn't know where to post this, so Admin may move it to a better spot!

After attending many fine code related classes & presentations, I am assembling one of my own. Here in NY we have a statewide association [www.nysboc.net] with regional chapters. Most chapters have educational presentations at hte monthly meetings, and that is my target audience.

I have an outline that needs some fine tuning, and a friend is putting a power point slde program together. Then the whole thing goes to the state codes office (uploaded) for continuing education credit approval.

So... any body ever do this? How did it go? Would you try it again? Should I give up?

Re: Preparing a Codes Course - any help?

Mac - An ambitious undertaking. What subject matter? (send me the draft, I'd love to see it btw) :)

The only for-credit program I put together was a one-shot deal. I borrowed the idea from the Mid-Hudson CEO Conference.

It was two hours of in-service for a walk-through of a W@l-M@rt that was under construction in my jurisdiction (MHCEOEC used a hotel next door to the annual school). Many of our (Tri-County) members might not have gotten the chance to see a 'big box' at that phase (part of the justification for the credit). After the guided tour we went back to Town Hall for a Q&A with the Construction Manager. :?:

One hour on-site and one hour in 'class'. The paperwork (then) was a bit of a pain in the a$$, but I hate paperwork (yeah, I know - heckuva job choice for someone who hates paperwork!). :eek:

If you need any specific guidance Sam is very helpful (but call him after the ICC ABM, I have a feeling he is there). Albany loves it when we take some initiative... it takes some of the load off them. With the proposed (further) cuts bandying about in Albany they may need more CEOs to step up like you are doing. Bravo! :D

We have a number of courses that we've put together here. I think you need to determine the time frame that you need to do what you want to do. Are these 1 hour programs (lunch & learn)? 3 hour programs? 7 hour seminars?

Years ago I worked for BOCA and I developed the three hour programs. There was a total of 10. We offered the programs as a 10 week "tour" on a given night of the week - for ten weeks. Then, when it came time to get all the certification credits possible (last chance dance) the programs were set up for an entire week, one in the morning and one in the afternoon for five days. It was a flexible means to get across a lot of information.

But that all depends on how much and how detailed you want to be about your topic(s).

post it and we would be glad to critique it!!!!! That does help to get feed back on goods and bads of the program.

I find that I change my programs each time I present it, in order to make it better.

I am willing to help. Do as CDA says, post it and we can work through the content.

I think we (the "association"?) should put on our own code institute to compete with ICC.

Haz and I have talked about this in person and I believe we have the talent to pull it off.

Depending on the level of interest among industry professionals, it could be a very lucrative venture.

I put on classes three or four times a year. One of them is a week long class in May that Haz also teaches at. Building Professional Institute in Arlington Texas.

I take along a few "show and tells" and pass them around and try to get interaction from the crowd. Ask questions of the attendees, "How do you guys do it?" The more you interact the longer they will stay awake and actually may even be interested in what you have to say!

Also a lot of the way you want to put it together depends on who will be attending. A class full of inpectors verses a class full of building officials and architects will be a different format. Present it towards the individuals attending.

As others have said, post your format/information and how long the class will be! Who knows...I may even steal some ideas from you! :shock: :D

I'm hoping that one day soon you all may attend a seminar sponsored by the Pack Saddle Hazmat Poobah Consortium.

We will take cash or debit cards. Checks should be written to The Consortium. No refunds, but lunch will always include smoked brisquet, smoked sausage, and pecan pie for desert.

getting approved for State credits is always easier than getting approved by IACET to provide CEU's that are recognized nationally (we just went thru the IACET approval process).

Having said that, can you include salads on your consortium luncheon menu?

Thanks

Mac: Some of the comments on posting it would be great! We all may have some pointers!

This would fall right into the request I had for ICC before they turned out the lights! A training line!

Could be as simple as a few questions or proposed questions! With answers to follow a few days after the post, then open discussion. There are so many new products and combinations of issues everyday that the list could be endless.

Ps: Mac you will not find that valley of Trout in up state Pa or NY. I have personally fish out most of the big one. You will have to look towards Canada. However, I suggest to stop along the st. Lawrence for some fine steel head or salmon. They are still rether on the large size! :)

Thanks to all for the thoughtful responses. I am a little further along the "approved for Continuing Ed Credits" path. I am preparing a detailed outline and powerpoint slides & pictures for review & approval by NYS Codes Div.

The course can be presented prior to NYS approval, but attendees will not get any education credit. The presenter can however get valuable experience in doing the presentation. Which he probably needs. A lot.