• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Prescriptive Compliance Method and alterations that comply with IFC

Kevin

I'm working on an existing two-story R-2 building that was damaged on the first floor by flooding. It only had 5 dwelling units in it. The ground floor will be a completely new fit-out and the layout will likely change to accommodate another unit. The owner would like to avoid sprinklers. My take on below is that per IFC and the fact that it doesn't list sprinklers or manual fire alarms for R-2, they aren't required.

301.1.1 Prescriptive Compliance Method

Repairs, alterations, additions and changes of occupancy complying with Chapter 4 of this code in buildings complying with the International Fire Code shall be considered in compliance with the provisions of this code.

Does everyone agree with this logic?

I'm a bit confused about the lack of requirements in IFC and the lack of scoping clarifications as well. There's no mention of horizontal separations in Chapter 11 of IFC. IBC spells separations out really well and but it's unclear if it even applies because of conflicting language:

401.1. Prescriptive Compliance Method Scope:

"....alterations to any building or structure shall comply with the requirements of the International Building Code for new construction."

I don't have a problem calling for a horizontal separation that meets Chapter 4 of IBC's special requirements for I-1 and Residential Occupancies, but I'd like to know for my own understanding of what's required or not.

Any insight would be appreciated.

What IEBC edition are you using? IEBC Section 401.1 does not state what you said it states in the 2009, 2012, 2015, 2018, or 2021 editions. Is this a local amendment?

What IEBC edition are you using? IEBC Section 401.1 does not state what you said it states in the 2009, 2012, 2015, 2018, or 2021 editions. Is this a local amendment?

Sorry I'm in the 2015 edition , but my state just switched to 2018. I don't know where I pulled that. long day.

Per 2018

Section 501.1.1. Compliance with other Methods - Alterations, repairs, additions and changes of occupancy to or relocation of, existing buildings and structures shall comply with the provisions of this chapter or with one of the methods provided in Section 301.3