• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Prescriptive Rating for Concrete/Floor Ceiling

vitamaltz

I need some help.

I have a 1960s-era Type IIIB building. Project owner wants to turn it into an A-2 use downstairs and keep the B use upstairs. The A-2 will have sprinklers. I'm wading through the IEBC appendix to see if the floor between the two areas has the required 2-hour required separation for me to treat these as two separate fire areas. The floor is steel bar joists with a 3" concrete deck (no steel sub-deck). There's currently no finish ceiling. I really don't see this condition listed, though it's fairly common construction around here. Can someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks!

I believe the sprinklers are required throughout the BUILDING......but I could be wrong under the IEBC.......what edition are you using and WELCOME on your first post!

Thanks, Steveray. This forum has helped me as a lurker for a long tim.

2009 IEBC. Because the B use upstairs isn't proposed to change, I was otherwise leaning on only sprinklering the A-2 use based on this:

IEBC 912.2.1 Fire sprinkler system. Where a change in occupancy classification occurs that requires an automatic fire sprinkler system to be provided based on the new occupancy in accordance with Chapter 9 of the International Building Code, such system shall be provided throughout the area where the change of occupancy occurs.

IBC 903.2.1 Group A. An automatic sprinkler system shall be provided throughout buildings and portions thereof used as Group A occupancies as provided in this section. For Group A-1, A-2, A-3 and A-4 occupancies, the automatic sprinkler system shall be provided throughout the floor area where the Group A-1, A-2, A-3 or A-4 occupancy is located, and in all floors from the Group A occupancy to, and including, the nearest level of exit discharge serving the Group A occupancy.

Please set me straight if I'm sideways :)

That section looks like it might be OK (for the sprinklers).....I believe you are looking at a horizontal fire barrier which would mean everything supporting it would have to have the same rating.....I do not believe you will find this without at least spray applied coatings to the structural steel....or some other way to support the bearing members.....

A minimum one-hour separation might be to your advantage

912.1.1 Compliance with Chapter 8.

The requirements of Chapter 8 shall be applicable throughout the building for the new occupancy classification based on the separation conditions set forth in Sections 912.1.1.1 and 912.1.1.2.

912.1.1.1 Change of occupancy classification without separation.

Where a portion of an existing building is changed to a new occupancy classification and that portion is not separated from the remainder of the building with fire barriers having a fire-resistance rating as required in the International Building Code for the separate occupancy, the entire building shall comply with all of the requirements of Chapter 8 applied throughout the building for the most restrictive occupancy classification in the building and with the requirements of this chapter.

912.1.1.2 Change of occupancy classification with separation.

Where a portion of an existing building that is changed to a new occupancy classification and that portion is separated from the remainder of the building with fire barriers having a fire-resistance rating as required in the International Building Code for the separate occupancy, that portion shall comply with all the requirements of Chapter 8 for the new occupancy classification and with the requirements of this chapter.

Thanks, everyone. It's only 860 s.f. of Business use... sprinkler installation might be the path of least resistance.

Glad I posted!