• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Pressure Relief Discharge to Garage Slab

The only thing in the garage when I do a final is the water heater. Usually sitting 18" off the floor.

Leave all those other things that might go in there out of the equation.

Glennman CBO said:
We're in the UPC. Electrical devices are not included in the verbage in what needs to be elevated (as far as water heaters are concerned). 508.14 states that "all burners and burner ignition devices" shall be elevated min 18" above the floor. It does state however, in 506.1, that water heaters deriving heat from other sources shall be installed in accordance with approved standards. There may be other sources that require elevation of electric water heaters, but in our state the IRC is not one of them, at least the way I understand it. Even ch 24 covers only fuel gas equipment, therefore, the "ignition source" there would only include gas flames. Food for thought.
Glennman,

Under the UPC you don't require an electric water heater to be elevateted in a garage?

I'm in Washington State under the UPC also and most of the JHA requied the water heater to be elevated I only know of one who does'nt require an electric water heater to be elevated.

I don't see the life safety risk with an electric water heater sitting only on R-10 ridgid insulation on a garage slab.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mule, Excellent use of the 'Definitions' section. Too often we answer (or engage the thought process) using only the definitions we carry around in our heads. The definitions sections in the codes are there for a reason, and you drove that point home on this one.

Bootleg,

I agree. I'm relatively new in my current setting. We have only had an issue with one electric water heater in a garage that has come up since I started here. When I brought up these code sections as stated in my post, no one could argue with it.

Glennman,

I'm going to stick with what Mule posted and require that electric water heater be elevated until I have a code that says otherwise.

JBI said:
Mule, Excellent use of the 'Definitions' section. Too often we answer (or engage the thought process) using only the definitions we carry around in our heads. The definitions sections in the codes are there for a reason, and you drove that point home on this one.
Thank you JPA...I mean JBI! :D

Sometimes I sling out something worth reading! :???:

an ignition source can be a spark from the electric ignition of an electric water heater igniting the gas fumes in the garage.. gasoline fumes are heavier than air and settle/collect near the floor.

Bootleg,

Better to err on the side of safety. BTW, what specific code section would you use to back it up, should you be challenged? Just curious.

Good discussion.

Glennman CBO said:
Bootleg,Better to err on the side of safety. BTW, what specific code section would you use to back it up, should you be challenged? Just curious.

Good discussion.
Glennman,

Good question!

I would use the code Mule quoted:

From the definitions section of the 2006 IRC

IGNITION SOURCE. A flame spark or hot surface capable

of igniting flammable vapors or fumes. Such sources include

appliance burners, burner ignitors and electrical switching

devices.

Bootleg

Now you have to apply the definition to a code section and unless you are using the Mechanical, Plumbing or Fuel Gas portions of the IRC I don't believe you will prevail if challanged JMHO

Good try though

BTW we are under the UPC and require electric water heaters located in a garage to be elevated. How do we do it? The contractors do not own a code book :lol:

What does the UMC say about sources of ignition in the garage.

Just wondering since the section I quoted came from the mechanical section of the IRC.

Okay, I dug out the really old UPC...1997

Section 510.0 Protection From Damage

510.1 Water heaters generating a glow, spark, or flame capable of ignighting flammable vapors may be installed in a garage, provided the pilots, burners or heating elements, and switches are at least eighteen (18) inches above the floor level.

Does your newer UPC have the same lanquage???

Mule said:
Okay, I dug out the really old UPC...1997Section 510.0 Protection From Damage

510.1 Water heaters generating a glow, spark, or flame capable of ignighting flammable vapors may be installed in a garage, provided the pilots, burners or heating elements, and switches are at least eighteen (18) inches above the floor level.

Does your newer UPC have the same lanquage???
Mule,

It looks like it was taken out.

The 2006 UPC 508.14 Installation in Residential Garages.

(1) Gas utilization equipment in residential garages and in adjacent spaces that open to the garage and not part of the living space of a dwelling unit shall be installed so that all burners and burner-ignition devices are located not less than 18 inches above the floor unless listed as flammable vapor ignition resistant.

It looks like mtlogcabin is right that under the 2006 UPC that an electric water heater is to code when on the floor in a garage of a SFR.

View attachment 125

Here is schematic of electric water heater. In Washington State this sits on 2" insulated pad. The thermostat sits behind a plastic shield, a bunch of insulation and the metal cover. Under UPC language I allow to be on floor.View attachment 125

/monthly_2010_05/fetchDocument..jpg.c5000efb0cde85afcd1581971eef0525.jpg

JMORRISON said:
Do you allow water heater pressure relief discharge to go to garage slab?
Funny, I was just having this discussion with a happy homeowner this AM. And the answer is:

No. Must be piped to outside, CPC 608.5.

Sue, where the west still lives...............

Alias said:
Funny, I was just having this discussion with a happy homeowner this AM. And the answer is:No. Must be piped to outside, CPC 608.5.

Sue, where the west still lives...............
sue,

608.5 also says "other approved locations" i have approved other locations!

I have OK'd the garage floor discharge terminal but not right by the door where people come and go routinely.

jim baird said:
I have OK'd the garage floor discharge terminal but not right by the door where people come and go routinely.
Ditto on Jim's answer.