• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Problems with open layout designs

2nd word, noise.

With more and more hard floor materials like wood and tile the sound bounces off the ceilings and floors. I for one do not want to hear the kitchen noises when in the living room reading this form on my computer.

The remodeling shows seam to be promoting this style of home with the family member stating in most of the shows "I want an open floor plans so I can see my kids from every room in the house if that's possible!" oh, and 4 bedrooms, 3 baths, an office, a 3 plus car garage, an art studio and no neighbors!

You never hear them say I want solar panels on my roof do you!

Video stops short of mentioning sundry issues that also come from designing open plans, which also ties into the 'indoor/outdoor living space'. Invariably owners want to fill that open space with lots of glass. Open plans provide less options for mechanical space to house all that HVAC equipment now required to heat and cool the space. 'Oh, we'll just throw it in the attic (or crawlspace)' is the common answer to that one.

The trend to replace wood-burning fireplaces that actually heat a house, with a decorative gas insert is another anti-green direction in green design.

I feel layout today is about convenience because we can, not practicality.

Today when we refer to practical or principled designs as they are placed in a singular group such as Leed Design Principals, Green Building, Passive Design and others. Each of these groups offers its own beneficial practices or principals that may be employed.