• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Problems With Some PDF Files - There's a Coalition For That

jar546

Forum Coordinator
We often have issues opening up PDF files from contractors that are made by obscure apps and programs. We have no choice but to reject them, even if the contractor tells us they can open them. Files are useless if they are not compatible with all of our systems, including browsers, PDF readers such as Bluebeam and Adobe and our permitting software. Here is a link that you can point to if you run into this problem.

I downloaded the guideline, but I don't see anything in it that seems likely to help a contractor produce better PDFs. The guideline (at least so far -- it says it's a work in progress) is clearly aimed at design professionals, and actually doesn't offer anything useful about how to avoid creating a PDF that won't open in MyGreatPermitShop software.

The .pdf format - portable document format - is intended to be a cross-platform document standard. If the .pdf doesn't open in standard-compliant readers like Foxit, Adobe Reader, PDFExchange, etc, then the document was NOT created to the required standard. That's not your problem to solve.

I'd say the same about someone who sent an image in a .CR2 format. I know what a .CR2 format is, and I can manipulate it - but it's NOT a cross-platform standard like as .jpg.

The .pdf format - portable document format - is intended to be a cross-platform document standard. If the .pdf doesn't open in standard-compliant readers like Foxit, Adobe Reader, PDFExchange, etc, then the document was NOT created to the required standard. That's not your problem to solve.

I agree. I think the first thing anyone who creates a PDF should do is test it to verify that it will open (and display properly) in Adobe Reader. In fact, I have a number of programs (sorry -- "apps" for you youngsters) on my computer that either export directly to .PDF format or that act as a virtual printer to "print" a file to .PDF. I'm pretty certain that all of them automatically open the .PDF file in Adobe Reader upon creation. I don't have a lot of sympathy for someone who submits a PDF that can't be opened.