• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Problems with the industry

Yankee,

Thank you for your response! I agree that a good inspector simply must use

good judgment and be selective, else they could become unemployed rather

quickly.

I have been known to write up some rather lengthy code epistles in my time,

sometimes to my detriment. I'm still learning, morseo now, after 18+ yrs.

of doing this.

Like it or not the codes, all codes, are a minimum standard. If a contractor, or whoever, can demonstrate that the minimum standard is being met then it passes inspection. You as an inspector do not have to like it but you are obligated to accept it and move on.

i usually quit writing somewhere around 15 and say call when you are really ready!
Exactly! It's not our job to provide a pick up list for the contractor and subs, that should have been done before they call for inspection. Tract builders are notorious for that.

We do AM or PM inspections. Call before 8 AM and we will do the inspection that morning. Call between 8 AM and noon and we will perform an afternoon inspection. Had a builder that would call for an AM inspection and at the same time would say "And go ahead and out me on for the afternoon so i can fix the red tag items.

I broke them from the habit by making the AM inspection around 11:45...11:59. Then I would go right back at 12:01...05 and write another red tag. Before I would come out again they would have to pay a reinspection fee! :)

I think that it my area there is just a general lack of knowledge on the part of contractors and inspectors.

With rare exception, I do not think any of us are intentionally trying to circumvent the code.

Yes, I have heard stories of certain inspectors that do windshield inspections. I do not know if it is true or not. I know that the contractors who told me continued the rant with WANTING an inspection to make sure the subs did their jobs right.

Maybe I am in a unique situation but even with the occasional upset contractor (ie when I told the plumber to cut out all the san tees used for drainage), I think being able to communicate effectively alleviates the problems. Sure the plumber said something about the plumbing code being written by people who didn't get their hands dirty, but he realized that he and I are on the same team. We parted with a handshake and it won't happen again.

Take something as simple as strike plates extending 2" beyond the plates. THe contractors can't even get them locally. They are having them drop shipped via internet orders.

I think there is an ignorance of the code. Once people (inspectors and contractors alike) are aware, it is abided by.

I had to overlook many many things when I started. I couldn't just dump 100 violations on every job from day 1. I started by enforcing the stuff that could be fixed easily or that was important. I point out what else was wrong, but would not order correction for the minor issues. The next time around things were usually right, or I would have them corrected.

They still have no idea what a braced wall is. And neither do the architects. There is plenty of blame to go around.

Granted, electric is pretty cut and dry. There is no room for selective enforcement. But I will say I feel your pain, nobody used to bond CEEs here. I am now enforcing it. If I see a service ready for connect with no CEE, I call the electrical inspector and tell them do not pass it without the CEE. Otherwise I think our electric is pretty much by the book. If I had to choose 1 trade around here that was the most compliant, I would say it is electrical.

Been fighting that strike plate thing here too since I changed towns "But I'm not putting up crown moulding"....another common one lately is 6" or larger 26ga connectors for oil fired furnace or boiler...1803.2 says 24 ga....

From a one person jurisdiction, the whole process can be very challenging. If I run into multiple multiple corrections, I write up the major life-safety ones, then catch the others 1) next time out, or 2) on the next job. Slowly but surely, progress is being made.

Sue, wehre the west still lives.....

Inquiry from potential buyer of home located in my ahj.

Sir,

I called earlier and spoke with someone at Energy, Permits and

Planning and they suggested I direct my question to you. I am active

duty Air Force stationed in Japan, but am moving to Sherwood next

month. I was in town this January and made an offer on a home in

Creekside subdivision (behind Miller's Crossing). I had the property

inspected and the inspector noted that the jetted bath tub in the

master bathroom did not have any way to access the motor. This made

it impossible for him to determine if the motor and supply line were

properly bonded (the plumbing is copper). Additionally, any repairs

would be impossible without significant collateral structural damage.

I asked the seller to add an access panel however he has refused,

stating "Pump is accessible by lifting tub. “Opening” or “door” is

not required by code. Seller will not install door or opening. "

Can you provide further guidance on this matter? Is a separate access

panel required by code? The tub is surrounded by a tile enclosure and

I cannot imagine lifting the tub would be very economical in order to

replace a motor. The home was built in 2010. Is the builder

responsible for creating an access panel?As you can imagine, it is difficult to coordinate issues like this

with the extraordinary time difference so your assistance would be

greatly appreciated.

Thank you, (inquirer)

(reply)

Section 421.5 of the Arkansas Plumbing Code requires a minimum 12"X12"

> access within 2 feet of the pump, however, we do not require it. In our

> market, a solid tub skirt of marble or ceramic is preferred, and commonly

> built, and, relatively easy to alter when access is required.

>

> Frankly, it is hard for me to understand, in this slower economy, why the

> seller is unwilling to provide an opening if that is what you desire in your

> new home. Usually, a two-hundred dollar item will not hold up the sale of a

> home in this price range.

>

> Sincerely,

>

> Andy Wilson

> Code Officer

Mr. Wilson,

Thank you for the information. Can you provide clarification on why

Sherwood does not require the opening? Is the state code

authoritative or can cities develop their own building codes?

It seems like the seller is in over his head on this home. He is

proving to be less than cooperative despite it being a buyer's market.

Thanks,

(reply)

As stated. in our market, (CENTRAL ARKANSAS), a solid tub skirt of marble or ceramic is preferred, commonly built, and, relatively easy to alter when access is required.

This applies to the Central Arkansas Market, of which we are a small part.

The state code is authorative, but changed dramatically in 2003 with the inception of the I-Codes; We are still playing catch-up, adding revisions each year to "the way things have been done around here forever". The access issue is a minor issue, involving cosmetics vs. convenience, that takes a back seat to more pressing revisions that regard life safety and building longevity.

It is a slow process to change a standard concerning the way people perform their work, and our small municipality cannot always be the force that changes market standards in the greater Little Rock area. I will, however, defend my record concerning leadership on conformance and compliance with the "new" codes to any that challenge it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have more trouble with architects that with contractors. They don't need continuing education and some don't seem to know to much about codes. I don't think some of them even have current code books. I had a old one in my office once that never saw a ICC code book.

I have had this situation occur to me years ago, where the fire inspector informed me of a code issue that I had not previously encountered and was not enforced by his predecessor. My first impression was that I was dealing with a loose cannon who was going beyond the requirements of the code. There were several things that the inspector did to help win me over to his side.

1. He was not condescending – he took the time to show me the code reference and explain it in detail.

2. He apologized that I had not previously received adequate inspection from his predecessors.

3. He explained that his hands were tied on this issue, because his mandate is to enforce the code as adopted by the city (“don’t shoot the messenger”).

4. He had a few really horrific stories of the real-world implications of the code issue. In other words, it wasn’t just for the sake of following a rule - - there are actual safety concerns. Stories that end with body bags are always helpful here. The impression should be, I have realistic concerns for your safety. You have to be careful how you deliver this one, otherwise the property owner may think you are calling him reckless with his own family’s safety - - then the conversation will shut down.

5. Though the issue involved something that already had C of O from his predecessor, he demonstrated some flexibility by offering some remedial / alternate means of compliance.

6. Even though he was positive that he was right, he made sure I knew he really wanted to hear my perspective on this, and that he was open to the possibility of being corrected, IF I could demonstrate the code said something different than his position. He prefaced it by saying, “I - - and my department - - reserve the right to be smarter in the future than I am today.” The implication is that I should also be open to the idea that I could be wrong too.

Last edited by a moderator:
This very issue is one of the reasons I am an active and participating member of my local professional associations, namely the International Association of Electrical Inspectors, the Building Officials Association of Florida, and the Electrical Council of Florida.

Through these organizations, we strive to reduce the inconsistency between the neighboring jurisdictions by providing education, training, and lots of code talk. We have procduced and published many joint resolutions and announcements regarding a code issue or administrative matter. It's not 100% perfect or always effective, but it's better than nothing.

GET INVOLVED...