• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Produce stand and crossfit gym in same building?

Coder

Silver Member
So I have a business owner that wants to sell produce out of her gym. The produce would be located in the front "vestibule" type area as you walk into the establishment. People are creative I guess. Question I have for the group is, I classified the gym is an A-3. Would this produce stand be considered a change of occupancy or could I call it an accessory occupancy being no more than 10% of the floor area? Either way you will be able to go work out then get your fruits and veggies on the way out. :lol:

You might be able to stretch accessory....typically that would not involve selling to people off the street IMO ,just the gym folk.....Or mixed use nonseperated, partial COU for the fuit stand area...

Accessory, no different than the juice bar lounge or sales of supplements as an accessory function.... IMHO. Like SR said it is for the gym attendees and hopefully they don't smash the fruit by dropping the weights from above their heads like the "fitters" enjoy doing.................

Thanks for the replies. the proposed space is less than 10% of existing space. Accessory to existing use is what I am going with. pretty benign in the grand scheme of things. Just an unusual request that threw me a little bit of a curve ball. Work out with fruit and veggies to go anyone?

= = &

Coder,

With this planned expansion, will your Health Dept. need to

approve the project [ i.e. - raw produce, ...sanitation,

...being around all those schweaty humans, etc. ] ?

& = =

north star said:
= = &Coder,

With this planned expansion, will your Health Dept. need to

approve the project [ i.e. - raw produce, ...sanitation,

...being around all those schweaty humans, etc. ] ?

& = =
I have given them a heads up. Does not appear to be high on their priority list. As far as the interaction with the gym members and the fruit stand goes. I don't think it will be a problem.