• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Property Maintenance Exam - IRC needed?

Code Neophyte

Silver Member
I have a new inspector who will be taking the "Property Maintenance and Housing Inspector" exam (64) in the near future. The exam bulletin lists the IRC as one of the required texts. As it's been a while since I've taken this test, I cannot remember in what way the IRC is used? In looking at Section 102 (Applicability) of the IPMC, and Chapter 8 (Referenced Standards), the IRC is not even listed!! I also seem to recall an exam bulletin at one time (or some other document) which listed all of the sections of the IRC which might be used.

Can anyone help in explaining the extent to which the IRC comes into play in this test?

Thanks as always!

In looking at Section 102 (Applicability) of the IPMC, and Chapter 8 (Referenced Standards), the IRC is not even listed!!
In a round about way it IRC is applicable. Everywhere the IPMC references the IBC for repairs you would have to see if the exception to the IBC in Section 101.2 would apply to the structure you are inspecting. If so then the IRC would be applicable.

101.2 Scope.

The provisions of this code shall apply to the construction, alteration , movement, enlargement, replacement, repair, equipment, use and occupancy, location, maintenance, removal and demolition of every building or structure or any appurtenances connected or attached to such buildings or structures.

Exception: Detached one- and two-family dwellings and multiple single-family dwellings (townhouses ) not more than three stories above grade plane in height with a separate means of egress and their accessory structures shall comply with the International Residential Code .