• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Protected opening in a Type VN wall

Rio

Silver Member
We have an exterior wall, stucco and gyp. bd. on wood framing and are in the 3' to 5' to property line range. Reading Table 704.8 of the 2007 CBC (similar to IBC), it says that we can do a combination of protected and unprotected openings up to 25% of the wall area. It appears to me from the table that we need to have 15% protected and 10% unprotected.

I've been trying to find the definition of what is a protected window and all I've been able to find is a 3/4" metal frame with wired glass. I'm hoping that this is not the only option. I want to use the same window type as when we're dealing with the California state Fire Marshall, basically dual paned tempered windows.

Any advice or information will be appreciated greatly.

Thanks,

Rio

Thanks for the link. I took a look at it. There must be other alternatives; I just have to dig 'em out...............

Thanks for the feedback. Originally by luck the amount of openings was under 10% but the client wants more now and we want to accommodate them if possible. It appears that we have to provide a 3/4 hour fire rated assembly so we're going to see if we can get a window assembly that will match the rest of existing windows that will comply with that requirement. I'm hoping that we can do single hung windows, with the fixed pane being the 3/4 hour rating as I'm guessing (not sure if this is right) that the open part of window will have to count as unprotected.