• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Protection of bearing plates in precast construction?

RLGA

SAWHORSE
I have a client who has brought to me an issue they have encountered regarding a parking garage.The parking structure is of Type I construction per Section 406 (2006 IBC) based on allowable area. The precast manufacturer has stated that the precast components (columns, girders, and tees) have at least the required 2-hour fire-resistive protection. However, this is not the issue.The city plans examiner is requiring that the welds and exposed portions of the bearing plates be protected by a fireproof coating. The construction uses corbels in the precast components for other components to bear on (see partial detail). The bearing plates serve little use in the support of vertical (i.e. gravity) loads.What do you think?View attachment 1213

View attachment 1654

View attachment 1654

/monthly_2012_02/572953e5658e2_GarageJoint.jpg.d2488741757bc4a57039e16c5246ea39.jpg

City plans examiner is a jackass.

Lateral forces are transferred at the diaphragm (i.e. the topping).

The bearing plates allow for movement due to changes in temperature, humidity, and loading and thereby prevent the creation of stresses between members.

Steel is used to provide a uniform, durable surface which will not chip when members are erected and shimmed.