• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Protection of gas pipe

Sifu

SAWHORSE
For steel and wrought iron pipe protection, is the outdoor environment considered to be "exerting a corrosive action", (IFGC 2009, 403.8) therefore requiring a protective coating on the pipe? In other words is this a section I can use to require them to protect the exterior portions of the pipe?

The code I used to enforce expressly added a statement regarding exterior pipe protection: "Ferrous metal exposed in exterior locations

shall be protected from corrosion."

& &

IMO, ..."yes!"....Regular exposure to water will cause a

type of galvanic reaction with the non-coated areas.

This galvanic action shows up as rust.

IMO, ...you CAN require that an approved type of

coating be applied to all areas of the piping upstream

of the gas meter.......The gas provider usually coats /

paints all exposed gas piping from the meter

downstream.

$ $

At my last AHJ we required it to be painted where exposed as well.

Around here, it's typically galvanized for exterior and black iron for interior, we don't have an ordinance that's would require painting a certain color to recognize it........

The problem with painting black iron after it's installed (surface mount against wall) is that you can't really get the paint all around the pipe and water sits in the area between the pipe and the wall (no paint) and that's where the corrosion starts.