• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Pumping grease waste

Sifu

SAWHORSE
Is there a code prohibiting the pumping of grease waste prior to entering an interceptor? I can see where the pump and valves must be listed for that use (not sure if there are any or not) but I can't think of a prohibition in the code.

Not sure if IPC or UPC, but....

2018 UPC
1014.3.4 Location. Each grease interceptor shall be so installed and connected that it shall be easily accessible for inspection, cleaning, and removal of the intercepted grease. A gravity grease interceptor that complies with IAPMO Z1001 shall not be installed in a building where food is handled. Location of the grease interceptor shall meet the approval of the Authority Having Jurisdiction.
1014.3.4.1 Interceptors. Interceptors shall be placed as close as practical to the fixtures they serve.

The final sentence of 1014.3.4 and then 1014.3.4.1 may loosely give the AHJ opportunity to say that discharge must be gravity fed to the grease intercept. IMHO, this would be justifiable, as the grease laden waste may interfere with the pump serving the force sewer line.

However, it would presumably be more of a maintenance issue. The grease will build up in the force sewer line and in the pump tank/reservoir, which could present issues with pump longevity and serviceability. But again, that is a building owner maintenance issue.

The reason that I point to this building a maintenance issue is because the intent of the code requirements for a grease intercept is to protect the public sewer line. Therefore, the intent is only that a grease intercept be provided before connection to the public sewer main. For this reason, I would most likely not prohibit/reject the proposed configuration, but would not be in support of it either.

This is a temporary installation during construction. Pumping up and over a sidewalk and pedestrian protection tunnel during construction. I suggested listed equipment, protection from freezing, wastewater approval. Wastewater approved it as temporary measure but wouldn't for permanent installation. It was taken out of my hands but the suggestions were carried forward.

Temporary should not be an issue but there should be safeguards in place to protect the public from this installation.