• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

PVC pipe use for non-potable fixture?

Mech

2015 IPC

The code prohibits the use of PVC for water distribution piping. (Piping inside the building.)

The building owner wants to use PVC for cold water to a laboratory sink and for RO water. CPVC will be used for the hot water. The argument is that the lab sink does not provide potable water. The lab sink will have a faucet with hot and cold water and a separate faucet for testing the RO water.

My thinking is that since the PVC pipe is attached to the water distribution system, it is subject to backflow and can take water from the PVC piping into the CPVC piping. Also, there is nothing stopping an employee from filling their water cup from the lab sink.

Can PVC pipe be used here? Used only with an additional backflow preventer?

Thanks

Why do they want to use pvc? Just curious, doesn’t affect the answer. Could they use pex?

I am assuming PVC because that was quoted, that is what they always use, and CPVC is more expensive. They could probably use pex. When the building owner suggested pex, I told him yes, but upsize it.

If they separate it with a backflow (non-potable system) I would not be too concerned....Kinda like saying you can feed the toilet with PVC because you are not drinking from it....Doesn't really work under code....

Also, there is nothing stopping an employee from filling their water cup from the lab sink.

Table 605.4 does not list PVC for water distribution.

605.4 shall conform to NSF 61

Push the PEX - Fewer connections may offset the cost!

....Kinda like saying you can feed the toilet with PVC because you are not drinking from it...
That brings up a story i have told my kids and granddaughter.... and they go “ewww gross”. But its true. When i was a kid in the early 60’s we lived in the chicago area, and the cold war was in full swing. Remember conelrad on your radio dial? With the little triangle symbols so you could easily tune to 640 & 1240 for the station in the event of a nuclear attack? Anyway, we used to have drills in school and they talked about things to do. One of the things i remember is ... in the event of an emergency you can drink the water from the toilet tank.

That reminds me of a story from a coworker. He said he was at a party in college, early 70's, where they used a toilet as a punch bowl. When the bowl went empty, they hit the trip lever and voila . . . instant replenishment. Of course this did not last long as an inebriated soul actually used it as a toilet.

Anyone else?