• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

QFP breaker

paul kester

Does anyone have experience with challenger QFP main breakers formerly Zinsco brand. I bought a 150 amp replacement breaker for my 200 amp panel for solar panel restriction reasons. The panel is configured with the meter enclosure on the left side compartment. The bus from the meter crosses over to the right side compartment as a horizontal bus at the top of the main service panel. The 200 amp breaker plugs into this. typical. What I think is not so typical is that the bottom of the breaker [the breaker lugs] is not fed with wire but sits on top of vertical bus extensions. I removed the skinny 8-32 or 10-32 bolt and with difficulty unplugged the top of the breaker from the meter bus. Had the right side vertical bus extension been just like the left side I would have had the breaker replaced in the morning. The right side vertical bus extension is connected into the breaker lug in a way i cant see and would not lift out or seperate.

Any residential electrician gurus out there with QFP experience ? Need help

It must be a large house if you need room for 90 amps of solar.