• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Query on depth of detail

Inspector Gadget

I had an interesting situation on a residential build inherited from another AHJ. Simply put, the plumber was quite liberal with drilling all sorts of holes in, on, around and through the top chord of engineered trusses.

Do you folks look for such things on residential plans reviews? I generally only care about such things when looking at chases and such in commercial buildings....

I had an interesting situation on a residential build inherited from another AHJ. Simply put, the plumber was quite liberal with drilling all sorts of holes in, on, around and through the top chord of engineered trusses.

Do you folks look for such things on residential plans reviews? I generally only care about such things when looking at chases and such in commercial buildings....
How would you look for that during plan review?

Are these open web floor trusses? If it is an open web truss, why did the plumber not either run parallel to the member or run through the opening in the truss?

Sorry, but overall, this post makes very little sense.

Since the plumbing drawings do not provide detail on where the holes will be routed this may be one of those things that cannot be checked during plan check.

The holes in the engineered truss are inconsistent with the truss designs submitted. Note this and require that this inconsistency be resolved. Then sit back while the owner and the contractor resolve this comment. Resolution will not be simple and will require revised truss designs.

How would you look for that during plan review?

Are these open web floor trusses? If it is an open web truss, why did the plumber not either run parallel to the member or run through the opening in the truss?
You anticipate plumbers having a far greater cognitive capacity than some of them do.
IMG_20230216_131939.jpg

As for how would I look at it, that's part of the question.... Do folks ask for plumbing drawings on residential builds? I don't ....

Since the plumbing drawings do not provide detail on where the holes will be routed this may be one of those things that cannot be checked during plan check.

The holes in the engineered truss are inconsistent with the truss designs submitted. Note this and require that this inconsistency be resolved. Then sit back while the owner and the contractor resolve this comment. Resolution will not be simple and will require revised truss designs.
Yep. In the case of the pic just posted, they had to cut a bunch of the pipes, insert new joist elements sistered to existing (damaged) joints, and reconnect.

Le$$ons were learned.

Nope. Plumbers should already know not to cut structural members without approval. And if they don't, well...education is expensive.

I had a plumber who made that hole 3 times in a joist. Solution was to feed an LVL in from the outside of the building to support the full length of the floor joist.

The plumber didn't work on that job, or any other permitted project in my jurisdiction ever again.

We get absolutely no MEP information on IRC structures....Except maybe heat loss.....But as the customers get worse and the energy code gets insane, I could see us going down that road