• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Question for an ICC board member.

tmmaloney1

I'll give this question a go here; I can't find an answer to this anywhere.

I guess this is Massachusetts specific, because I'm in Massachusetts with a CSL license, which I believe is a Mass state license still.

The back of my "unrestricted construction supervisors license" says verbatim "Buildings of ANY use group which contain less than 35,000 cubic feet of enclosed space". With this license, I am entitled to do design, or structural design, but obviously I can't design skyscrapers, so there must be a cutoff point when a P.E. or other design professional comes in to take charge. Mainly, this Mass license is for 1 and 2 family dwellings, but it says any use group, as long as it has less volume than 35,000 cubic feet. Well, I got a job on a 3 unit building that contains less than 35,000 cubic feet. I go to pull the permit, and they say I need an engineer because it's 3 units. All I'm doing is reframing small porches that are about to collapse. I've been in this business for 20 years, and I know what is safe. I study the code, understand how to calculate loads, basically I can do the job that the license says I should be able to do.

Question is: Do I really have to pay an engineer $1,500, (or do the unit owners), to tell me to use 2x8's 16" on center, with adequate beams, columns rated for the load, etc, etc, etc? So is the statement on the back of the license completely untrue? I've had a lot of crazy answers to this question. There are two CSL licenses in Mass. The unrestricted one that I have, and the one for 1 and 2 family dwellings.

Thanks to any that try to help.

I am not on the board, but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night..........That would be State Licensing Law....not under the jurisdiction of ICC....Your license is for building (supervising), not designing....

It's kinda like your CSL will allow you to build a house or whatever, but you need an HIC reg to put a deck on one....or at least that is how it used to be.....

Not a mathematician, but 35000 cubic feet is not that big of building is it????

The scope per 780 CMR 110.R5 states that a CSL can supervise individuals or themselves in "Construction, reconstruction, alteration, repair, removal, or demolition" of projects within the limitations indicated by the law. Nowhere does it state that design is permitted. As previously stated here and in another thread, states establish the rules and regulations for design professionals--the ICC does not regulate when a registered/licensed design professional is required.

The 2009 IBC states in Section 107.1, "The construction documents shall be prepared by a registered design professional where required by the statutes of the jurisdiction in which the the project is to be constructed."

cda said:
Not a mathematician, but 35000 cubic feet is not that big of building is it????
In CT it is anything over 5000 square feet....fairly small as well...but at least it gives you a small chance of getting a decent plan....

your license permits you to work on, not design, buildings under 35,000cubic feet and residential one or two family dwellings, without the oversight of an RDP(Construction Control). It does not give you license to perform design and engineering work on any level. The IBC as amended by the MA amendments requires that all plans bare the seal of a registered design professional. There is an exception for one or two family dwellings where an RDP is not required for plans, this would then "allow" you to produce the drawings, but in reality anyone can produce the drawings for a one or two family dwelling.