• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Question For Lori

Rider Rick

Silver Member
Rider Rick said:
Here is my question stated in a different way....

A quantity of 2 @ 90 minute fire doors prefit...meaning the machining will be done at the mfg.
These will be double doors to be hung in the existing jamb. In my experience door always
need to be fitted/planed to fit in the somewhat out of square jamb. By doing any fitting/planing ...
***(My question is)*** Does this void the fire certification/rating and therefore void the label of the fire door?
Thank you!

Rider Rick said:
Here is my question stated in a different way....

A quantity of 2 @ 90 minute fire doors prefit...meaning the machining will be done at the mfg.
These will be double doors to be hung in the existing jamb. In my experience door always
need to be fitted/planed to fit in the somewhat out of square jamb. By doing any fitting/planing ...
***(My question is)*** Does this void the fire certification/rating and therefore void the label of the fire door?
Thank you!

Hi Rick -

NFPA 80 addresses the allowable clearance which is measured after the door is installed in the frame, but doesn't specifically state whether it's ok to plane the door in the field. Undercutting the door is allowed by 80, but that's just at the bottom of the door. The question of whether it's ok to "adjust" the clearance at the top and sides would be up to the door manufacturer's listings. If you know the manufacturer you can call their tech support department to check. It's tricky because planing the door can affect the hardware preparations and the projection of the latch. You also need to avoid planing off the label!

- Lori

Reactions: cda