• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Question on sprig length

OK......I'll bite....what the heck is a sprig in relationship to construction. I found where it could be a headless brad, but I don't think that is what you are talking about.

Welcome to the forums......

sprig

. A small shoot or twig of a plant.

b. An ornament in this shape.

2. A small brad without a head.

3. A young, immature person.

Depending on what edition of 13 you are under, I do not think in 2002 there is anything, but seems like I heard in later edtions there was a requirement to support them.

Also, not in an earthquake area, so that also may drive the support requirement

looks like it got put in the 2007:::

9.2.3.7 Sprigs. Sprigs 4 ft (1.2 m) or longer shall be restrained against lateral movement.

There is not a limit for a sprig if you mean a drop or a riser. There are limitations on the length of an arm over.