• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Question on tying wye connection into existing sewer line.

hardroadz

Good evening,

I have a question regarding code approved way to add a 4" line into existing sewer main line in my front yard. (ABS, Schedule 40) The easiest way to perform this would be a saddle connection, but this appears to not be allowed in CA? Can anyone confirm?

The second easiest way that I have found appears to be what is shown in this link. link

If anyone has a better/ easier way to do this, I appreciate your feedback. Many Thanks~Robert

Good evening,

I have a question regarding code approved way to add a 4" line into existing sewer main line in my front yard. (ABS, Schedule 40) The easiest way to perform this would be a saddle connection, but this appears to not be allowed in CA? Can anyone confirm?

The second easiest way that I have found appears to be what is shown in this link. link

If anyone has a better/ easier way to do this, I appreciate your feedback. Many Thanks~Robert
Follow-up question: Expansion couplings appear to be allowed by Code. Could I use this?

Here you go again. Why don’t you hire a licensed contractor and plumber to do your project?

I don't know is a perfectly acceptable answer.
Oh but I do know....and I said no....what more do you need to know? If you're looking for someone that doesn't know, follow the link that you provided....better yet, try it out and you'll have an answer.

But I shouldn't say that you can't use an expansion coupling....this is after all, the city of Roseville, Ca. .... they might have a handout for that.

Last edited:
Oh but I do know....and I said no....what more do you need to know? If you're looking for someone that doesn't know, follow the link that you provided....better yet, try it out and you'll have an answer.

But I shouldn't say that you can't use an expansion coupling....this is after all, the city of Roseville, Ca. .... they might have a handout for that.
ICE. Settle down. The City of Roseville debate was one specific issue of minimum slope in a shower pan. Different issue and different thread. If you read the link I provided above you will note that it references making the splice using repair couplings. Only my follow-up question inquired about the expansion coupling.

No need to makes things personal.