• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

"QUIETBRACE" - Structural Sheathing

When I worked for the darkside we tried using a simular product to save money due to the cost of the OSB increases. The framers complained because of the additional learing curve and the amount of additional nails it takes per manufactures install requirements. Other issues asrised and we quite using the product. No requirement for braced wall lines at the time. I would think it may be more costly than OSB with labor invoved?

pc1

Just saw our first home in the area with a similar product installed. The builder made the move due to the high cost of osb. Even though it had been approved for use by our office, including braced wall panels, he was not comfortable using it on the corners. I ran into the framing crew while I was there and asked for their take on working with it. And I quote: "we hate it." Slows them down big time, they have to get out the hammer!

We have a national builder switching to this product also, but still using OSB Method 3 on corners/25'...

Thanks to all for your input!

"TJacobs",

I have a Res. builder that is proposing to do what you have stated, ..OSB the corners and

use the QUIETBRACE for in-between the OSB sheets.

AFAIK, it appears to be a compliant material to use!