• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

R-1 Zone in Gardena, CA

hchung77

The City of Gardena issued an NOV in September for an illegal accessory structure built on a residential property since the zoning laws (at that time) permit only one accessory structure, fulfilled by the garage. A demolition permit was pulled and the structure came down. In December, the owner builds a nearly identical accessory structure and gets yet another NOV from the City. This time, the wording is "No permit for over 120 sq ft contruction" and is treated as a 1st NOV instead of a repeat violation. Both violations were identical. Does anyone know the exact restrictions on such structures (size and quantity)?

What has me fuming is that the owner's response to the NOV requiring a demolition permit simply applies and is granted a permit to build (2) storage sheds at 120 square feet each and is treated as a modification. Code Enforcement was more than eager to help in the first violation and has not made a single response to any inquiries concerning the municipal codes and regulations for the second time around. I am willing to accept if there was a change in the codes. I just want Code Enforcement to tell me that. If not, the original NOV should govern and the subsequent permits should not be issued. Your insight to this and help to bring my blood down below boiling point is greatly appreciated.

This will all come down to your local Zoning/Development/Housing code, so we won't be a lot of help here. Your best bet for answers will be at the Zoning office. Don't call. Walk in and ask to talk to whoever's in charge. Be polite.

IMO from your description of the events, the Zoning guys are right and these SHOULD be separate violations: You had a violation, it was remedied; case closed. You built another structure, it's not within the code; that's a whole new violation.