• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

R-2 Egress Balcony to Sprinkle or Not to Sprinkle

phuzzy phil

With a two-story Type VB, R-2, egress balcony with a roof/floor ceiling, does 2018-IBC Section 903.3.1.2.1-2 NFPA 13R-Balconies, Decks, Open Corridors require sprinkling? I thought it was applicable at the 2nd story egress balcony at a minimum during my plan review. Sprinkler Contractor and Architect insist this only applies to private balconies, specific to the dwelling unit. ICC technical support pointed out the text "of dwelling units and sleeping units" makes it sound dwelling unit specific, but by the end of the phone call indicated uncertainty and to look into NFPA13R. I did and 2016-NFPA13R Section 6.6.5.1 is nearly identical to 903.3.1.2.1 requiring sprinklers at Type VB roofed-balconies, decks, patios, as the only exception to 6.6.5 where NPFA13R specifies sprinklers not being required at "porches, balconies, corridors, carports, porte cocheres, and stairs that are open and attached." The annex for 6.6.5 provides an image of a wraparound corridor that appears to fit the bill of an egress balcony. Since the apts. don't have private balconies for the college student's bbq grill, I was excited to find reason for the egress balcony to be sprinklered, but now unclear, if that's enforceable. Thanks for any thoughts.

With a two-story Type VB, R-2, egress balcony with a roof/floor ceiling, does 2018-IBC Section 903.3.1.2.1-2 NFPA 13R-Balconies, Decks, Open Corridors require sprinkling? I thought it was applicable at the 2nd story egress balcony at a minimum during my plan review. Sprinkler Contractor and Architect insist this only applies to private balconies, specific to the dwelling unit. ICC technical support pointed out the text "of dwelling units and sleeping units" makes it sound dwelling unit specific, but by the end of the phone call indicated uncertainty and to look into NFPA13R. I did and 2016-NFPA13R Section 6.6.5.1 is nearly identical to 903.3.1.2.1 requiring sprinklers at Type VB roofed-balconies, decks, patios, as the only exception to 6.6.5 where NPFA13R specifies sprinklers not being required at "porches, balconies, corridors, carports, porte cocheres, and stairs that are open and attached." The annex for 6.6.5 provides an image of a wraparound corridor that appears to fit the bill of an egress balcony. Since the apts. don't have private balconies for the college student's bbq grill, I was excited to find reason for the egress balcony to be sprinklered, but now unclear, if that's enforceable. Thanks for any thoughts.

Ok I give what is a " egress balcony " ??

Like motel 6 you walk out of unit and there is a walk way to the stairs?
And this one happens to be covered or roof line extends over it?

Anyway to post a link with a simple floor plan.

I am thinking the answer to your question will be no.

Not an open ended corridor? 903.3.1.2.2

Last edited:
Become a forum supporting Sawhorse,,, and you can direct post.

Or make it a link or someone just did Flickr, all beyond my knowledge

Thank you. Yes, exactly, like a Motel 6! Covered with a roof on 2nd story and floor/ceiling above on the 1st floor. 903.3.1.2.1-speaks to sprinkling Type VB covered balconies, ground floor patios, while 903.3.1.2.2-speaks to sprinkling covered breezeways or open corridors.

If the actual 2nd floor, not the egress balcony

Than the 1st floor only would need fire sprinklers.

Because “horizontal projection”

FIRE AREA. The aggregate floor area enclosed and
bounded by fire walls, fire barriers, exterior walls or horizontal
assemblies of a building. Areas of the building not provided
with surrounding walls shall be included in the fire area
if such areas are included within the horizontal projection of
the roof or floor next above.

[F] 903.2.8 Group R. An automatic sprinkler system
installed in accordance with Section 903.3 shall be provided
throughout all buildings with a Group R fire area.