• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

R-value of bubble wrap

D a v e W

Silver Member
Ok the product is Foil Backed (both side) Bubble Wrap 3/8" to 1/2" thick. I am unable to find the r-value for this product. What I do see is 1.3 r-value for 3/8" thickness. Is there any chart that someone might have knowledge of? :?: Under what I currently see this needs to be a lot thicker to reach R-8 for unconditioned spaces. :shock: Thank appreciate the info that will follow!

Re: R-value of bubble wrap

In Michigan this has been a contentious issue for at least 3 years now. Not sure if its a Michigan ammendment since I don't have the books here but, duct insulation stands on its own here. Mfg's of this product were brought to the State for product approval and testified that its only a 1.3 value on its own without film and reflective value. Also stated it doesn't matter how many layers you add its still only 1.3. We don't allow it since the minimum R value in attics and crawls here is 5.0 & its not a listed UL181 product as well.

Many other products available to meet the requirements.

I have seen this product used as duct insulation. The product overlap caused the inner foil layer (heated side) to conduct heat to the out foil layer providing a nice thermal bypass. Reflectix, Inc, the brand, stated that they will provide all testing as requested. So far, no testing and they don’t return phone call anymore. Here is their number is you care request testing data: (800) 879-3645. Here is a good article for a slightly different install: http://www.energyideas.org/products.aspx

I have seen this product used as duct insulation. The product overlap caused the inner foil layer (heated side) to conduct heat to the out foil layer providing a nice thermal bypass. Reflectix, Inc, the brand, stated that they will provide all testing as requested. So far, no testing and they don’t return phone call anymore. Here is their number is you care request testing data: (800) 879-3645. Here is a good article for a slightly different install: http://www.energyideas.org/products.aspx

Just say know.

Well never recieved anything, contractor or gave up and removed it. Reinsulated with regular R-8 insulation, problem solved as TM would say.... :lol: