• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

R302.5.1 Fire Door/Garage

The 1970 BOCA code section 414.11 requires a door panel that with a 3/4 hour fire resistance rating or a 1 3/4" solid core wood door with no closer required. That might not be the applicable code but no other code would have been more restrictive and the 1972 CABO code would have been the same since this requirement is unchanged in later CABO codes.

All you should need to do is hire a carpenter to install a solid core wood door (20 min equivalent). If the code history is not convincing add the closer. I'm surprised a door from that era isn't solid core wood or metal clad.

Wish I knew how to edit comments.

I think you have to be a Sawhorse,, Forum supporting person,,, to edit.

Which we welcome, plus the cost ,,, will save you money on a project down the road, When you have one of those I don't know questions

I was under the impression this is a door from the garage to the house. I would hope there is a front door to the home but then again maybe I should not be so sure

My previous house did not have a dpoor from the garage to the house. Had a man door to the exterior in back, then the back door of the house. A pain with groceries in the winter, but usable. Lived with it for 8 years.

International Existing Building Code Resource A (in the back of the book) gives fire ratings for archaic assemblies, and a few ways to increase their fire resistance. It is based on a HUD study and publication from the 1980s (I think) addressing rehabilitation of pre-code buildings.

International Existing Building Code Resource A (in the back of the book) gives fire ratings for archaic assemblies, and a few ways to increase their fire resistance. It is based on a HUD study and publication from the 1980s (I think) addressing rehabilitation of pre-code buildings.
A door from a garage to a house is not required to be a fire rated assembly nor is it in a fire rated frame or a fire rated frame. However, if you want to build such a wall and opening protection, you can.