• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

R310.4-Security Kit

Have not read the section in awhile but does it apply just to the window??

Or both window and grate???

Do you just pull down on it to unhook???? If so maybe not total heart ache

Specifically the grate;

R310.4 Bars, grilles, covers and screens.

Bars, grilles, covers,screens or similar devices are permitted to be placed over emergency escape and rescue openings, bulkhead enclosures,or window wells that serve such openings, provided the minimum net clear opening size complies with Sections R310.1.1to R310.1.3, and such devices shall be releasable or removable from the inside without the use of a key, tool, special knowledge or force greater than that which is required for normal operation of the escape and rescue opening.

Could someone in a smike filled room, in a panic, knowing nothing operate it? If I need to even be thinking about it, it worries me.

I use the SAME hook or shackle to fasten the harness to my belt when skijoring. It releases in an instant with almost no effort. Just grasp and lift or pull and it's off.

Bill

I would allow it.

One could argue that "special knowledge" is required to operate a casement window - latches, crank, screen, etc., or a pop out metal frame window - latches, tilt, lift, etc.

My decision would be based on whether or not the proposed locking device is MORE complicated that the window operation. Seems reasonable that anyone who could remove the window, gaining access to the window well, could also figure out the locking device.

mj

It takes "special knowledge" to unlock the window... this is really no different.

It is fine without the security device. The security device requires that the release be grasped in a specific way that releases it. In a panic without that knowledge one may get cooked. Picture a half blind person in the dark. They may not notice a "skijoring" release. Picture a ten year old house-guest. If anything, the release looks like it's been disguised as some fancy hardware.

Have the company provide documentation that the system does indeed meet the criteria that no special knowledge is needed. In the literature that is in the jpg. it states that the 'Adjust-A-Grate Grate Escape is an optional quick release security kit' so they should have some sort of evidence that it is what it claims to be other than their opinion.

it looks like the clip part of this rigging is in the exterior portion of the window well. how well does that serve someone who is inside , in a fire situation, trying to get out? which is exactly the point of the section and discussion yall are in? notice the section says "REMOVEABLE FROM THE INSIDE WITHOUT SPECIAL USE OR KNOWLEDGE"

noah webster wrote the dictionary, daniel webster was a statesmen

Last edited by a moderator:
Upon further review of the information, the hand is reaching into the window well from inside the structure. Nothing like the strong taste of crow first thing in the morning . My apologies. Still questionable as to "without special knowledge".